Progress in Epitaxial Insulators and Metals on Silicon
Research into the growth of epitaxial insulators and metals on silicon has been a fertile area of investigation for several years.1 The various groups pursuing this line of research have given numerous motivations for this work, such as its possible applicability to 3-dimensional integration, new device structures, dielectric isolation and semiconductor passivation (in the case of epitaxial insulators), and superior device metallization (in the case of epitaxial metals). From a more fundamental standpoint, these materials also offer, by virtue of their high degree of structural perfection, the opportunity to study the relationships between the atomic structure and electrical properties of both the film itself and of its interface with the substrate. There has been progress in studying the applicability of new epitaxial materials to all of these areas. In this paper some specific examples of investigations in the areas listed above will be discussed.
KeywordsRapid Thermal Anneal Interface State Density Epitaxial Material Epitaxial Interface Epitaxial Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See Bean JC(ed): Proceedings of the First International Symposium on Silicon Molecular Beam Epitaxy. Pennington, NJ: Electrochemical Society, 1985. Also see Bean JC and Schowalter LJ(eds): Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Silicon Molecular Beam Epitaxy. Pennington, NJ: Electrochemical Society, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Ishizaka A, Nakagawa K, and Shiraki Y: Collected Papers of MBE-CST-2: Tokyo: Jpn. Soc. Appl. Phys., 1982, p. 182.Google Scholar
- 6.AG He at pulse 210, AG Associates, Inc., Palo Alto, CA 94303.Google Scholar
- 7.Cerullo M, Phillips JM, Anzlowar M, Pfeiffer L, Batstone JL, and Galiano M: Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., in press.Google Scholar
- 9.People R, Smith TP, Phillips JM, Augustyniak WM, and Wecht KW: Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 37, 169, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.Schowalter LJ, Fathauer RW, and Krusius JP: Proc. Symp. on Silicon Molecular Beam Epitaxy: Bean JC(ed): Pennington, NJ: The Electrochemical Society, 1985, p. 311.Google Scholar
- 16.Phillips JM, Manger ML, Pfeiffer L, Joy DC, Smith TP, III, Augustyniak WM, and West KW: Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 53, 155, 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.Phillips JM, Batstone JL, Hensel JC, Cerullo M, and Unterwald FC: submitted to J. Mat. Res.Google Scholar
- 20.Tesanović Z, Jarić MV, and Maekawa S: Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 2760, 1986; N. Trivedi and N. W. Asheroft: unpublished and private communication.Google Scholar
- 21.Levi AFJ, Tung RT, Batstone JL, and Anzlowar M: Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., in press.Google Scholar