On the Influence of Opacity Fluctuations on the Energy Transfer by Radiation
This paper aims at gaining knowledge especially on the multidimensional radiative transfer effects of opacity fluctuations in stellar atmospheres. First, by means of analytic calculations, some properties of the non-local transfer effects of such fluctuations are pointed out. The potential importance of opacity fluctuations for driving radiative instabilities is demonstrated through the establishment of the possible types of instabilities in grey radiative equilibrium atmospheres. Numerical linear calculations for grey continuum radiation are then presented. The influence of the transfer effects of opacity fluctuations on the radiative relaxation time is discussed as a function of the characteristic length of the atmospheric structures.
KeywordsRadiative Transfer Radiative Transfer Equation Stellar Atmosphere Solar Photosphere Planck Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramowitz, M., Stegun, I.: 1965, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover, New York.Google Scholar
- Ando, H., Osaki, Y.: 1975, Publ. Astron. Soc. Japan 27, 95.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1960, Radiative Transfer, Dover, New York.Google Scholar
- Rybicki, G. B.: 1965, Ph. D. Thesis, Harvard University.Google Scholar
- Trujillo-Bueno, J.; 1988, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Göttingen.Google Scholar
- Trujillo-Bueno, J., Kneer, F.: 1987, in The Role of Fine-Scale Magnetic Fields on the Structure of the Solar Atmosphere, E.H. Schrtfter, M. Vazquez, A.A. Wyller eds., Cambridge University Press, p. 281.Google Scholar