The Center for Astrophysics Redshift Survey: Recent Results
Six strips of the CfA redshift survey extension are now complete. The data continue to support a picture in which galaxies are on thin sheets which nearly surround vast low density voids. In this and similar surveys the largest structures are comparable with the extent of the survey. Voids like the one in Boötes are a common feature of the large-scale distribution of galaxies. The observed structure presents a serious challenge for models.
Within the context of the observed structure in redshift space, we discuss the issue of “fair samples” of the galaxy distribution. We examine statistical measures of the galaxy distribution including the two-point correlation functions. We comment on limits on large-scale flows and on the distribution of groups and clusters of galaxies in the survey.
KeywordsPeculiar Velocity Rich Cluster Redshift Survey Cold Dark Matter Model Individual Galaxy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Binggeli, B. 1988, this volume.Google Scholar
- Centrella, J., Gallagher, J.S., Melott, A.S., and Bushouse, H.A. 1988, preprint.Google Scholar
- Efstathiou et al. 1988, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Geller, M.J. et al. 1988, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Geller, M.J., and Huchra, J.P. 1988, in Vatican Study Week on Large-Scale Motions in the Universe, V.C. Rubin, ed. (Princeton University Press: Princeton).Google Scholar
- Huchra et al. 1992, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Kirshner, R.P., Oemler, A. Jr., Schechter, P.L., and Shectman, S.A. 198, Ap.J., 314, 493.Google Scholar
- Kirshner, R.P., Oemler, A., Schechter, P, and Shectman, S. 1988, private communication.Google Scholar
- Koo, D., Kron, R., and Szalay, A. 1986 in 13th Texas Symposium on Relativistic Astrophysics, M. Ulmer, ed. (World Scientific: Singapore).Google Scholar
- de Lapparent, V., Geller, M.J., and Huchra, J.P. 1988, Ap.J., in press.Google Scholar
- Nilson, P. 1973 Uppsala General Catalog of Galaxies, Uppsala Astr. Obs. Ann., 6.Google Scholar
- Ostriker, J.P. 1986, in Galaxy Distances and Deviations from the Hubble Flow, B. Tully, ed.Google Scholar
- Ostriker, J.P. and Strassler, M. 1988, preprint.Google Scholar
- Ramella, M., Geller, M.J., and Huchra, J.P. 1988, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Salzer, J., Aldering, G., Bothun, G.D., and Lonsdale, C. 1988, A.J., in press.Google Scholar
- Shane, C.D. and Wirtanen, C.A. 1967 Publ. Lick Obs., Vol. XXII, Part 1Google Scholar
- Vishniac, E.T. and Ostriker, J.P. 1985, Societa Italiana di Fisica, 1, 157.Google Scholar
- Zwicky, F., Herzog, W., Wild, P, Karpowicz, M. and Kowal, C. 1961–1968, Catalog of Galaxies and of Clusters of Galaxies, (Pasadena: California Institute of Technology)Google Scholar