Radio Images of Planetary Nebulae
The continuum radio spectra of planetary nebulae are discussed, and the structure of these objects is examined from the observed aperture synthesis brightness distributions determined with the Very Large Array. The use of radio observations in determining distances to planetary nebulae is examined. The detection of atomic neutral hydrogen at λ21 cm associated with planetary nebulae, as well as the associated CO and OH components are discussed. An upper limit, of the nebular magnetic field associated with the neutral material, of 1mG is reported for NGC 6302.
KeywordsRadio Emission Planetary Nebula High Angular Resolution Very Large Array Aperture Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balick, B., Bignell, C., Hjellming, R.M. and Owen, R. 1987, Astron. J., (in press).Google Scholar
- Bignell, C. 1983, IAU Symposium 103, ed. D.R. Flower, (D. Reidel Publ. Co.), 69.Google Scholar
- Gathier, R. 1986a, Late Stages of Stellar Evolution, ed. S. Kwok and S.R. Pottasch, (D. Reidel Publ. Co.), 371.Google Scholar
- — 1986b, Astro. Ap., (in press).Google Scholar
- Knapp, G.R. 1986, “Mitteilungen der Astronomischen Gesellschaft”, (in press).Google Scholar
- — 1987, Late Stages of Stellar Evolution, ed. S. Kwok and S.R. Pottasch, (D. Reidel Publ. Co.), 321.Google Scholar
- Payne, H.E., Phillips, J.A. and Terzian, Y. 1987, Ap. J., (in press).Google Scholar
- Schneider, S.E., Silverglate, P.R., Altschuler, D.R. and Giovanardi, C. 1987, Ap. J., (in press).Google Scholar
- Terzian, Y. 1977, Sky and Telescope, December, 459.Google Scholar
- Terzian, Y. 1983, Planetary Nebulae, ed. D.R. Flower, (Reidel Publ. Co.), 487.Google Scholar
- —, 1987, Asteroids to Quasars, ed. P. Lugger, (Cambridge University Press), (in press).Google Scholar
- —, 1987, Sky and Telescope, February, 459.Google Scholar