This chapter will deal with urological problems as they present to the urologist in roughly chronological order, from urinary tract infection (UTI) in childhood but excluding UTI in the elderly (Chapter 3). Problems associated with treatment will also be discussed, including catheter management, the ileal loop and, finally, antibiotic prophylaxis during urinary tract surgery.
KeywordsUrinary Tract Infection Pulmonary Tuberculosis Prophylactic Antibiotic Chronic Prostatitis Urethral Stricture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Scott, J. E. S. (1987). Ureteric reflux: the present position. In Hendry, W. F. (ed.) Recent Advances in Urology Andrology, No. 4, pp. 89–108. (Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone)Google Scholar
- 5.Kreiger, J.N. (1986). Complications and treatment of urinary tract infections during pregnancy. Urol. Clin. N. Am., 13 (4), 685–693Google Scholar
- 7.Roberts, J. A. (1986) Pyelonephritis, cortical abscess and perinephric abscess. Urol. Clin. N. Am., 13 (4). 637 645Google Scholar
- 8.Lim, F. T. K. S. (1985). Sexually transmitted diseases. In Whitfield, H. N. and Hendry, W. F. (eds.) Textbook of Genito-Urinary Surgery, Vol. 1, pp. 579–586. (Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone)Google Scholar
- 9.Willox, R. R. (1981. International trends affecting the control of the sexually transmitted diseases. In Harris, J. R. W. (ed.) Recent Advances in S.T.D., No. 2, pp. 1–34. (Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone)Google Scholar
- 11.Kenn, C. and Goorney, B. (1988). Changes in sexual attitudes and behaviour in the light of increased awareness of AIDS. Br. J. Sex. Med., 15, 162–165Google Scholar
- 13.Gow J.G. (1986). Genitourinary tuberculosis. In Walsh, P.C., Gittes, R.F., Perlmutter, A.D. and Stamey, T. A. (eds.) Campbells Urology, 5th Edn, Vol. 1, pp. 1037–1061. (Philadelphia: Saunders)Google Scholar
- 20.Fowler, J. E. Jr and Marshall, V. (1983). Nosocomial catheter-associated urinary tract infections. Infect. Surg., 2, 43–47Google Scholar