Use of Seismic Attributes in Reservoir Characterization
Since the mid-1970s seismic attributes have been used as hydrocarbon indicators. For certain geological provinces these indicators have given encouraging results. Attributes are typically derived from normal-incidence seismic data on a trace-by-trace basis and are presented in a cross-section. It is generally accepted that minor character changes observed in these displays can be related to real geological changes. However, it is not at all obvious how the geological significance of subtle lateral variations observed on a conventional 2D seismic cross-section can be deduced.
KeywordsSeismic Section Seismic Attribute Reservoir Characterization Seismic Stratigraphy Seismic Trace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bodine, J.H. (1984). Waveform analysis with seismic attributes. Proceedings of the 54th. Annual SEG Meeting, Atlanta.Google Scholar
- Bracewell, R.N. (1978). The Fourier Transform and its Applications. McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Brown, A.R. (1985). The role of horizontal seismic sections in stratigraphie interpretation. In: Berg, O.R. and Woolverton, D.G. (eds.), Seismic Stratigraphy II — an Integrated Approach to Hydrocarbon Exploration pp. 37–47 AAPG Memoir 39.Google Scholar
- Gabor, D. (1946). Theory of communications. JIEE 95, 429–457.Google Scholar
- Hubbard, J.R., Pape, J. and Roberts, D.G. (1985). Depositional sequence mapping as a technique to establish tectonic and stratigraphie framework and evaluate hydrocarbon potential on a passive continental margin. In: Berg, O.R. and Woolverton D.G. (eds), Seismic Stratigraphy II — an Integrated Approach to Hydrocarbon Evaluation, pp. 79–91. AAPG Memoir 39.Google Scholar
- Mitchum, R.M. Jr. and Vail, P.R. (1977). Seismic stratigraphy and global changes of sea level, part 7: Seismic stratigraphie interpretation procedure. In: Payton, C.E. (ed), Seismic Stratigraphy — Applications to Hydrocarbon Exploration, pp. 135–143. AAPG Memoir 26.Google Scholar
- Thadani, S.G., Alabert, F. and Journel, A.G. (1987). An integrated geostatistical/pattern recognition technique for characterization of reservoir spatial variability. Proceedings of the 57th Annual SEG Meeting, New Orleans.Google Scholar
- Vail, P.R., Mitchum, R.M. Jr., Todd, R.G., Widmier, J.M., Thompson, S.III, Sangree, J.B., Bubb, J.N. and Hatleid, W.G. (1977a). Seismic stratigraphy and global changes of sea level. In: Payton, C.E. (ed.), Seismic Stratigraphy-Applications to Hydrocarbon Exploration, pp. 49–212. AAPG Memoir 26.Google Scholar
- Vail, P.R., Todd, R.G. and Sangree, J.B. (1977b). Seismic stratigraphy and global changes of sea level, part 5: Chronostratigraphic significance of seismic reflections. In: Payton C.E. (ed), Seismic Stratigraphy-Applications to Hydrocarbon Exploration, pp. 99–116. AAPG Memoir 26.Google Scholar