Influence of Safimax Fibres on Microstructure and Microsegregation in an Aluminium Alloy
The solidification behaviour of a fibre reinforced Al-6 wt.% Cu alloy containing 30 vol. % of 3µm diameter, semi-continuous, aligned alumina fibres has been studied. Results are presented to show the influence of fibres on microstructure and matrix microsegregation. The effect of total solidification time, θt, on solidification behaviour was examined for 1 < θt < 520s. When θt >100s the final matrix microstructure is non-dendritic and CuAl2 is located principally at the fibre matrix interface. When θ ≃ 1s it was observed that the final microstructure is dendritic, with a periodic segregation pattern and the CuAl2 is more dispersed. The matrix composition becomes more uniform and the minimum composition rises as θt increases. The microsegregation is analysed theoretically using a simple analytical model.
KeywordsSolidification Behaviour Squeeze Casting Simple Analytical Model Fibre Matrix Interface Eutectic Fraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Trumper R. and Scott V., ECCM 3, eds. A.R. Bunsell, P. Lamicq, A. Massiah, Elsevier App. Sci., 1989, pp.139 – 144.Google Scholar
- 2.Cornie J.A., Mortensen A., Gungor M.N. and Flemings M.C., ICCM V, eds. W.C. Harrigan, J. Strife and A.K. Dhingra, TMS-AIME, 1986, pp.809–823,Google Scholar
- 3.Mortensen A., Gungor M.N., Cornie J.A. and Flemings M.C., J. of Metals, March 1986, vol. 38, pp. 30 – 35.Google Scholar
- 4.Cornie J.A., Mortensen A. and Flemings M.C., ICCM VI, eds. F.L. Matthews, N.C.R. Buskel, J.M. Hodginson and J. Morton, Elsevier App. Sci., 1987, pp. 2.297 – 2.319.Google Scholar
- 5.Mortensen A., Cornie J.A. and Flemings M.C., Metall. Trans. A, vol. 19A, 1988, pp.709–721.Google Scholar
- 6.Idem, J. of Metals, vol. 40, Feb. 1988, pp. 12–19.Google Scholar
- 7.Li Q.F., McCartney D.G., and Walker A.M., to be published.Google Scholar
- 8.Kurz W. and Fisher D.J., ‘Fundamentals of Solidification’, Trans Tech Publishers, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Clyne T.W. and Kurz W., Metall. Trans. A, vol. 12A, 1981, pp. 965–971.Google Scholar
- 12.Brody H.D. and Flemings M.C., Trans. AIME, vol. 236, 1966, pp. 615 – 623.Google Scholar