Fracture Performance of Random, Continuous Glass Strand Reinforced Polyamide-RIM Composite
The fracture behavior of reaction injection molded (RIM) polyamide block copolymer reinforced with randomly arranged continuous glass fiber bundles (glass mats) was studied under monotonic static and dynamic loading conditions. Static fracture measurements carried out with compact tension specimens at different crosshead speeds (1 and 1000 mm/min) and temperatures (-40 to 80°C). Fracture toughness values were determined from maximum loads. Dynamic fracture toughness and fracture energy values were derived from high-speed impact bending tests carried out on different Charpy and Izod specimens, respectively. The fracture mechanical data were compared with each other and with those of conventional short fiber reinforced polyamides. Failure mode of the composites was characterized by fractography and possible failure events were summarized. Recommendations were given for further material improvements.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Crosshead Speed Strain Energy Release Compact Tension Specimen Dynamic Fracture Toughness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Karger-Kocsis, J and Friedrich, K.:Plast.Rubb.Process. Appl., 8 (1987), 91–104Google Scholar
- 3.Williams, J.G.:Fracture Mechanics of Polymers, Ellis Horwood Ltd, Chichester, 1984Google Scholar
- 6.Friedrich, K. and Karger-Kocsis, J.:Fractography and failure mechanisms of unfilled and short fibre reinforced semicrystalline thermoplastics, Ch.11 in “Fractography and Failure Mechanisms of Polymers and Composites” Ed.:Roulin-Moloney, A.C.), Elsevier Appl.Sci., Barking, 1989, pp. 437–494Google Scholar
- 7.Karger-Kocsis, J.: Fracture of short-fibre reinforced thermoplastics, Ch.6 in “Applicaton of Fracture Mechanics to Composite Materials” (Ed.:Friedrich, K.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1989, pp.189–247Google Scholar
- 8.Idem: Structure and fracture mechanics of injection molded composites in “Encyclopedia of Composites” (Ed.:Lee, S.M.), VCH Publ., N.Y., (to be appeared)Google Scholar
- 10.Friedrich, K:Fractographic analysis of polymer composites Ch.11 in “Application of Fracture Mechanics to Composite Materials” (Ed.:Friedrich, K.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1989, pp. 425–487Google Scholar
- 12.Friedrich, K. and Karger-Kocsis, J.:Fracture and fatigue of unfilled and reinforced polyamides and polyesters in “Solid State Behavior of Linear Polyesters and Polyamides” (Eds.:Schultz, J.M and Fakirov, S.), Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliff (to be appeared)Google Scholar