A Two-Dimensional Stress Analysis of Adhesive Butt Joints Subjected to Tensile Loads
Replacing dissimilar adherends and an adhesive with finite strips,stress distributions in adhesive butt joints subjected to external tensile loads were analyzed strictly as a three-body contact problem using the two-dimensional theory of elasticity. The effects of stiffness and thickness of adhesive bonds on the stress distributions were demonstrated by numerical calculations. In addition,the stress singularity caused at the edge of the interface was discussed. The analytical result was fairly consistent with the experimental one concerning the strains produced on the adherends.
KeywordsStress Distribution Stress Analysis Adhesive Layer Stress Singularity Adhesive Joint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Suzuki,Y.,Three-dimensional Finite Element Analysis of Adhesive Scarf Joints of Steel Plates Loaded in Tension, Bull JSME, 1984, 27,No. 231, pp l836–1845.Google Scholar
- 2.Chen,D. and Cheng,S.,An Analysis of Adhesive-Bonded Single-Lap Joints,Jour. Appl. Mech.,198 3,5 0,ppl09–115.Google Scholar
- 5.Wah.T.,Stress Distribution in a Bonded Anisotropic Lap Joint, Jour.Eng. Materials. Technology., 1973,pp l74–181.Google Scholar
- 6.Sawa,T.,Nakano,Y. and Temma,K.,Stress Analysis of T-type Butt Adhesive Joint Subjected to External Bending Moments, Jour. Adhesion,1987, 24,ppl-15.Google Scholar
- 7.Nakano,Y.,Temma,K. and Sawa,T.,A Two-Dimensional Stress Analysis of Butt Adhesive Joints Having a Circular Hole in the Adhesive,JSME Int,Jour.,1988,31,No.3,pp507–513.Google Scholar
- 9.Adams,R.D. and Peppiet,N.A.,Stress Analysis of Adhesive-Bonded Lap Joints Jour. Strain Analysis,1974,9,No.3,ppl85–196.Google Scholar
- 10.Sawa,T.,Iwata,A. and Ishikawa,H.,Two-dimensional Stress Analysis of Adhesive Butt Joints Subjected to Tensile Loads,Bull JSME,1986, 29,No.258,pp4037–4042.Google Scholar
- 11.Sawa,T.,Temma,K. and Tsunoda, Y., Axisy mmetr ic Stress Analysis of Adhesive Butt Joints of Dissimilar Solid Cylinders Subjected to External Tensile Loads, Int. Jour. Adhesion and Adhesives, 1989, 9,No. 3,pp l61–169.Google Scholar
- 12.Hattori,T.,Sakata,S.,and Watanabe,T.,A Stress Singularity Parameter Approach for Evaluating Adhesive and Fretting Strength,The Winter Annual Meeting of ASME, Advances in Adhesively Bonded Joints, 1988,pp43–50.Google Scholar