A New Solvent Resistant Ion Exchange Material for Analytical Chromatography
A pair of new solvent resistant pellicular cation exchangers is described. The new materials make use of a latex-based cation exchange gel coating attached to a highly crosslinked polyvinyl aromatic core. The polymeric core can be either nonporous or porous. In the latter case, the pellicular cation exchanger allows a variety of reversed phase retention modes to occur simultaneous to cation exchange retention. The ability to add solvents to the mobile phase significantly expands the degree of selectivity control achievable with these new materials. A comparison with ion-pair chromatography performed on a conventional bonded phase silica reversed phase column demonstrates the high selectivity of the new materials.
KeywordsHydration Energy Cesium Chloride Polymeric Core Eluant System Vinylbenzyl Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Samuelson, P.. Ion Exchange Separations in Analytical Chemistry, John Wiley and Sons, New York, N.Y., 1963, Ch. 15 and 16.Google Scholar
- 2.Horvath, C., Pellicular ion exchange resins in chromatography. In Ion Exchange and Solvent Extraction, ed. J. A. Marinsky and Y. Marcus, Marcel Dekker, New York, N.Y., 1973, Vol.5, Ch.3.Google Scholar
- 3.Issaq, H. J. and Gutierrez, J., Mixed packings in high performance liquid chromatography: II. Mixed packings vs. mixed ligands. J. Liq. Chrom.. 1981, 11 (14), 2851–2861.Google Scholar
- 6.Pohl, C. A, Potts, M. E., Heberling, S. S., Stillian, J. R., Summerfelt, V. E., and Barreto, V. B., “Novel, pellicular, covalent latex bonded, polymer ion exchang ers for high performance chromatographic separations”, paper presented at the 40th Pittsburgh Conference and Exposition on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy (Atlanta, Georgia, 1989), abstract #753.Google Scholar
- 8.Stillian, J. R. and Pohl, C. A., New latex bonded pellicular anion exchangers with multi-phase selectivity for high performance chromatographic separations. Accepted for publication in J.Chromatogr.Google Scholar
- 9.Slingsby, R. W. and Rey, M., Determination of pharmaceuticals by multiphase chromatography: combined reversed phase and ion exchange in one column. Accepted for publication in J. Liq. Chromatogr.Google Scholar