Residual Stress Evaluation of Materials Manufactured by High-Energy Process
This paper presents several applications of the step by step hole drillling method for measuring residual stress distribution introduced in different components manufactured by the high energy process.
The first application concerns a NiCrAlY plasma sprayed coating. The influence of air plasma spraying, subatmospheric plasma spraying and post-treatment on the residual stress distribution is studied; the application of laser in mechanical engineering is also presented in the case of photonic peening(laser induced stress waves) and welding respectively for an aluminium alloy and a titanium alloy.
KeywordsResidual Stress Laser Welding Compressive Residual Stress Weld Bead Residual Stress Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sivakumar, R., and Mordike, B.L., Laser melting of plasma sprayed NICoCrAlY coatings. Surface Engineering 1987, 3, N.4, pp299–307.Google Scholar
- Dründling, H.W., Schneider K., and Singheiser, L., Mechanical properties of coated systems, Materials Science and Engineering, 1987(88), ppl77–189.Google Scholar
- Hobbs, M., Thermal barrier coatings for diesel engines, Surfacing Journal, 1985, 16, pp101–108.Google Scholar
- Proceedings of the fourth International colloquium on welding and melting by eletron and laser beams, Cannes, September 1988, Edited by CEN/Saclay FranceGoogle Scholar
- Fournier, J., Generation of shock waves by high-energy pulsed laser, Mechanical and metallurgycal analysis, Ph.D thesis, Ecole Polytechnique, 1989Google Scholar
- Kelsey, R.A., Measuring Non-Uniform Residual Stresses by the Hole-Drilling Method, Proceeding SESA, Vol.14, No.1, 1956, 181–194.Google Scholar
- Nickola, W.E., Pratical Subsurface Residual Stres Evaluation By The Hole-Drilling Method, Proceeding of the Spring Conference On Experimental Mechanics, New Orleans, June 8–13,1986, 47–58.Society for experimental mechanics.Google Scholar
- Bijak-Zochowski, M., A semidestructive method of measuring residual stresses, VDI-Berichte, Vol.313, 1978, 469–476.Google Scholar
- Lu, J., Niku-Lari, A., Flavenot, J.F., Récents développments de la mesure des contraintes residuelles par perçage incremental, Matériaux et Techniques, Décembre 1985, 709–718.Google Scholar
- Forget, P., Jeandin, M., Lu, J., Contraintes résiduelles engendrées par choc laser sur des superalliages aéronautique, To be published in Proceedings of Journées Nationales sur les nouvelles technologies, 1990.Google Scholar
- Lu, J., Flavenot, J.F., The effect of the finishing treatments on the residual stresses distribution in advanced coating materials, Proceedings of the 1989 SEM Conference on Experimental Mechanics, June 1989, Boston, pp927–934Google Scholar