Process Support Environments and Their Application to Large Scale Systems
Process modelling, and the execution of active process models, provides a sound basis for the exercise of control over large-scale projects. This paper describes some of the research work carried out under the Alvey IPSE 2-5 project, and the potential for exploiting this research as the basis for large scale “process support environments”. Key features are the integration of management and technical activities, the concept of a “plan” as an instantiation of a “method”, and the ability for the process model to evolve over time to take account of changing requirements, both managerial and technical.
KeywordsLarge Scale System User Agent Large Scale Project Entity Class Role Instance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alvey Programme Software Engineering Strategy, 1983Google Scholar
- 2.Snowdon, R.A., An Introduction to the IPSE 2-5 Project, ICL Technical Journal Volume 6 Issue 3, May 1989Google Scholar
- 3.Warboys, B.C. and Veasey, P.W., Twenty Years with Support Environments, ICL Technical Journal Volume 6 Issue 3, May 1989Google Scholar
- 4.Snowdon, R.A., A Brief Overview of the IPSE 2-5 Project, Ada User Volume 9 Number 4, 1988Google Scholar
- 5.Snowdon, R.A., Scope of the IPSE 2-5 Project, IPSE Project Document number 060/00002 (available on request from STC Technology Ltd)Google Scholar
- 6.Greenspan, S.J., Requirements Modelling: A Knowledge Representation Approach to Software Requirements Definition. Technical Report CSRG-155, Computer Systems Research Group, University of Toronto, 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.Atkinson, M.P., Morrison, R. and Pratten, G.D., Designing a Persistent Information Space Architecture, Proceedings of Information Processing 1986, Dublin 1986, North Holland Press.Google Scholar
- 8.Pratten, G.D. and Snowdon, R.A., CADES—Support for the Development of Complex Software, EUROCOMP 1976Google Scholar
- 9.McGuffin, R.W., Elliston, A.E., Tranter, B.R., and Westmacott, P.N., CADES— Software Engineering in Practice. Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Software Engineering, Munich 1979, IEEE.Google Scholar