Test on Superconducting AC Fault Current Limiter
The authors have developed a new superconducting fault current limiter whose impedance during normal operation is very small. During fault conditions, the limiter behaves as a superconducting reactor. The limiter consists of a superconducting limiting coil and a superconducting trigger coil. The former coil has a larger critical current than the latter coil. These coils are wound non-inductively on coaxial cylindrical formers and are connected in parallel to each other. They are wound with AC superconductor having ultra-fine NbTi filaments. The limiter has a very little impedance, because both coils are wound non-inductively and in superconducting state during normal operation. On the other hand, in the case of fault conditions, the trigger coil quenches at a critical current. After the trigger coil quenching, the limiter becomes a superconducting reactor, because non-inductiveness is broken by trigger coil current. The fault current is, therefore, limited by the superconducting limiting coil to a certain value determined by the coil inductance. In experiments, the authors have succeeded in limiting a fault current level to 200A, with a limiter whose terminal voltage under limiting conditions was 54V.
KeywordsCritical Current Super Conducting Terminal Voltage Residual Inductance Superconducting Fault Current Limiter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Raji, B. P., Parton, K.C. and Batram, T.C., IEEE Power Engineering Society, Wintermeeting New Year January,(1982).Google Scholar
- 2.Boenig, H. J. and Paice, D. A., IEEE Trans. Mag. MAG-19, No.3,1051 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.Rogers, J. D., Boenig, H. J., Chowdhuri, P., Schermer, R. I, Wollan J.J. and Weldon, D. M., ibid.,1054 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.Sabrie, J.L., Alsthom Review, No.5 (1986)Google Scholar
- 5.Ito, D., Yoneda E.S., Fujioka, T. and Tsurunaga, K., to be published in Adv. Cryo. Eng., Proc. CEC in Los Angeles (1989).Google Scholar
- 6.Fevrier, A., Verhaege, T., Tavergnier, J.P., Laumond, Y. and Bekhaled M., to be presented in Session JC-12 in this conference.Google Scholar
- 7.Ito, D., Shimizu, Y.S., Fujioka, T., Ogiwara, H., Akita, S., Ishikawa T. and Tanaka, T., Proc. ICEC-12, 719 (1988) Southampton.Google Scholar
- 8.Yoneda, S.E. and Ito, D., to be presented in Session LB-05 in this conference.Google Scholar