A Design Approach to Fatigue Reliability
It is usually vital to investigate the implications of fatigue failure during the design of mechanical components. Conventional methods used for analysis during the design of mechanical components are based on the use of Miner’s rule for the estimation of cumulative fatigue damage.
The advent of low cost micro computers suitable for use as an aid to design analysis means that it is now feasible to base the estimation of fatigue reliability during design on procedures involving simulation. It is indicated that the procedures identified represent a potentially general method for the estimation of fatigue reliability from a knowledge of only two distributions of cycles to failure at different loading levels.
The use of the method for the design prediction of fatigue reliability is illustrated with examples and it is shown that the life reliability of particular ball bearing and roller bearing types may be predicted.
The use of the method for the fatigue reliability analysis of a gear drive shaft subjected to combined bending and torsion is also considered with the aid of a numerical example.
KeywordsFatigue Strength Weibull Distribution Stress Ratio Failure Probability Ball Bearing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Frost, N.E., Marsh, K.J., Pook, L.P.,Metal Fatigue, Oxford University Press, 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.Kececioglu, D.G., Chester, L.B. and Gardner, E.O.,Sequential cumulative fatigue reliability, Annals of the Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, Los Angeles, 1974, pp. 533–9Google Scholar
- 3.Carter, A.D.S.,Mechanical Reliability, 2nd. ed., Macmillan, London, 1986.Google Scholar
- 4.Fatigue Reliability: Introduction,The Committee on Fatigue and Fracture Reliability of the Committee on Structural Safety and Reliability of the Structural Division of ASCE., Journal of the Structural Division Proceedings of ASCE Vol. 108, No. STI, Jan. 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.Naylor, T.H., Balintfy, J.L., Burdick, D.S., Chu, K.,Computer Simulation Techniques, John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1968Google Scholar
- 6.Shigley, J.E.,Mechanical Engineering Design, 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1977Google Scholar
- 7.FAG Ball Bearings, Fag Roller Bearings Catalogue 41000 E 1966 ed., FAG Bearing Company Limited, Wolverhampton, 1966Google Scholar
- 8.Kececioglu, D.B. and Chester, L.B.Combined Axial Stress Fatigue Reliability for AISI 4130 and 4340 Steels, Journal of Engineering for Industry, Transactions of ASME, Feb. 1976.Google Scholar