The Confirmation of Phase Equilibria in the System ZrO2-CeO2 Below 1400°C
Critical review of the phase diagrams proposed previously suggested incomplete establishment of the phase equilibria in the system ZrO2-CeO2 below 1400°C. Application of hydrothermal techniques enabled us to attain the equilibria in this system. The tetragonal SS (solid solution) was no longer stable below 1000°C, where it decomposed into the stable monoclinic SS and cubic SS. The solubility limit of the tetragonal or cubic SS was 23 wt%(18 mol%) CeO2 or 79 wt%(73mol%) CeO2, respectively at 1400°C. That of the monoclinic or cubic SS was 5 wt%(3.5 moI%) CeO2 or 96 wt%(95mol%) CeO2, respectively at 800°C. Thermochemical calculation appears to make it possible to predict true equilibria in this system.
KeywordsPhase Diagram Phase Equilibrium Hydrothermal Treatment Stability Field Ce02 Content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.F. Pal’guev, S.I. Alyamovskii and Z.S. Volchenkova, Russian J. Inorg. Chem. 4 (1959) 1158.Google Scholar
- B.R. Rossing and H.K. Bowen, in: Materials limiting problems in energy production, ed. C. Stein (Plenum Press, New York, 1976) pp. 335–356.Google Scholar
- K.W. Browall and R.E. Hanneman, G.E. Report, No. 75 CRD 012 (1975).Google Scholar
- V. Longo and L. Podda, Ceramurgia 1 (1971) 83.Google Scholar
- T. Negas, R.S. Roth, C.L. McDaniel, H.S. Parker and C.D. Olson, 12th Rare Earth Research Conference, Vail, Colorado, July 1976.Google Scholar
- A. Rouanet, Compt. Rend. Acad. Sci. (Paris) C 266 (1968) 908.Google Scholar
- M. Yoshimura and H.K. Bowen, Bull. Am. Ceram. Soc. 56 (1977) 301.Google Scholar
- L. Kaufman and H. Bernstein, in: Phase diagrams, materials science and technology, Vol. 1, ed. A.M. Alper (Academic Press, New York, 1970) pp. 45–113.Google Scholar
- K. Ando, M. Akiyama and Y. Ōishi, J. Nucl. Mat., to be published.Google Scholar
- S. Sōmiya, S. Hirano, T. Fukuda and M. Sawada, Kōatsu Gasu 10 (1973) 368.Google Scholar
- E. Tani, M. Yoshimura and S. Sōmiya, The 25th Jinko Kobutsu Toronkai (Symposium of Artificial Minerals), Nagoya, Oct. 16, 1980.Google Scholar
- E. Tani, M. Yoshimura and S. Sōmiya, to be published.Google Scholar