Invasive treatment of acute stroke
Data pertaining the population of Rochester (Minnesota) in the early eighties  are consistent with the end of the decline of stroke which was recorded in that area from 19–15 to 1974 . However, the survival up to three days and the 30-day death of patients with cerebral infarction have never significantly decreased over the past four decades . Therefore, stroke prevention, which appeared so effective until a few years ago, seems currently to have reached its limits, whereas available guidelines to treatment of acute brain ischemia are still needed now, as they were forty years ago.
KeywordsMiddle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Stroke Registry Acute Brain Ischemia Early Angiography Intracranial Occlusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Caplan, LR, Stein, RW. (1986) “Stroke. A clinical approach”, Butterworths publisher.Google Scholar
- 11.Holmes, RA, Chaplin, SB, Rayston, FG et al (1985) “Cerebral uptake and retention of Tc-99m hexamethilpropyleneamine oxime (Tc-99m HM-PAO)”., Nucl. Med. Commun 6, 443–447.Google Scholar
- 13.Gurdjian, ES, Lindner, DW, Hardy, WG, Thomas, LM, (1961) “Completed stroke due to occlusive cerebrovascular disease. An analysis of 409 cases”, Neurology (Minn.) 11, 724–733.Google Scholar
- 14.Mohr, JP, Caplan, LR, Melski, JW, Goldstein, RJ, Duncan, GW. Kistler, JP, Pessin, MS, Blech, HI. (1978) “The Harvard Cooperative Stroke Registry: a prospective registry”, Neurology 28, 574–762.Google Scholar
- 15.Fisher, M. (1954) “Occlusion of the carotid arteries. Further experiences”, Arch Neurol Psychiat 72, 187–204.Google Scholar
- 17.The TPA-Acute Stroke Study Group. (1988) “An open multicenter study of the safety and efficacy of various doses of r-TPA in patients with acute stroke: preliminary results”, Stroke 19, 9.Google Scholar
- 18.GISSI. (1987) “Long-term effects of intravenous thrombolysis in acute myocardial, infarction: final report”, Lancet 1, 871–874.Google Scholar
- 19.Mohamed, AA, Gotoh, O, Graham, DI, Osborne, KA, McCulloch, J, Mendelow, AD, Teasdale GM, Harper MH. (1985) “Effect of pretreament with the calcium antagonist nimodipine on local cerebral blood flow and histopathology after middle cerebral artery occlusion”, Ann Neurol 18, 705–711.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Nakayama, H, Ginsberg, MD, Dietrich, WD, (1988) “(S)-Emopamil, a novel calcium channel blocker and serotonin S2 antagonist, markedly reduces infarct size following middle cerebral artery occasion in the rat”, Neuro1ogy 38, 1667–1673.Google Scholar
- 25.Rothmans, SM, Olney, JW. (1987) “Excitotoxicity and the NMDA receptor”, TINS 10, 299–302.Google Scholar
- 28.Greenberg, JH, Reivich, M,Urfoanics, R, Tanaka, K, Dora, E, Toffano, G. (1986) “The effect of GM1 on cerebral metabolism, microcirculation and histology in focal ischemia”, in Tettamanti, G et al. (eds.), Gangliosides and neuronal plasticity, Liviana Press, Padova, pp. 397–405.Google Scholar