Lipid and apolipoprotein in cord blood
In this study a series of Sicilian neonates was studied in order to investigate about the distribution of serum lipid and apolipoprotein at birth and the differences with adults. A series of 200 term, healthy newborns was studied. Total cholesterol (TC), triglyceride (TG), HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C), LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C), apo AI and apo B were assayed in all cord blood samples. TC mean value was 63.2 mg/dl and HDL-C represented about the 40% of TC: no differences was found between male and female newborns. In neonates TC and LDL-C were about, three-fold lower than adults, while HDL-C was about the 60%; apo AI and apo B were respectively about 60% and 30% of adult levels. 3.5% of newborns presented TC levels above the mean + 2 standard deviations. In conclusion lipid and apolipoprotein distributions in Sicilian newborns are not different from that of other population and there are no differences between males and females. It should be interesting the follow up of “hypercholesterolemic” newborns in order to establish if it is possible to do a neonatal screening of familial hypercholesterolemia.
KeywordsTotal Cholesterol Cord Blood Familial Hypercholesterolemia Adult Level Cord Blood Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barnes, K., Nestel, P.J., Pryke, E.S., Whyte, H.M. (1972) “Neonatal plasma lipids”, Med. J. Aust., 28, 1002–5.Google Scholar
- 4.Greten, H., Wengler, H., Wagner, H., (1973) “Early diagnosis of familial type II hyperlipoproteinemia” Nutr. Metab. 15, 1128–33.Google Scholar
- 8.Averna, M.R., Barbagallo, C.M., Galione, A., Carroccio, A., Labisi, M., Marino, G., Montalto, G., Notarbartolo, A., (1989) “Serum apolipoprotein profile of hypertriglyceridemia patients with chronic renal failure on hemodialytic therapy: a comparison with type IV hyper1ipoproteinemic patients” Metabolism, 38, 601–2.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Magliano, E., Rusca, M., Samaja, U., Sirtori, C.R., (1978) “Diagnosi di ipercolesterolemia alla nascita: dosaggio del colesterolo nel sangue di funicolo ombellicale in 1000 gravidanze normali”, Gaslini 10, 107–111.Google Scholar
- 10.Pagnan, A., Cerutii, A., Donadon, W., Ferrari, S., Tonolli, E., Bulian, I., Dal Palu’, C., (1976) “Cord blood cholesterol, triglycerides and lipoprotein electrophoresis in 124 Italian infants”, La Ricerca Clin. Lab., 6, 259–66.Google Scholar
- 11.Farinaro, E., Mancini, M., Trevisan, M.,Casullo, A., Di Mita, U., Rubino, A., Marotta, G., Mastranzo, P., (1979) “Plasma lipid and lipoprotein levels at birth in Naples, V International Symposium on Atherosclerosis, Houston, Texas, Abstract book, n. 399.Google Scholar