SAMSON: An Expert System Devoted to the Help of Software Assessment
The size and the complexity of software are continuously increasing, and it is a truism that software quality measurement is necessary. However, most of quality metrics users encounter problems in selecting them and interpreting their results; this knowledge is mastered by few experts in the world. To try to overcome these problems, the MUSE esprit project (p1257) has developed a knowledge base system, SAMSON, to help software quality assessment. This paper first relates SAMSON conception and development which was based on the synergy between MUSE German and French partners, it also presents its industrial impact. The main part concerns SAMSON description, it is divided according to the two models used to design the system. The first one explains how to select the metrics with the characteristics of the assessed software and how to interpret the results. There is a lack of explanations in this model, thus the second model helps the user to understand his errors, to correct them and gives recommendations to obtain the required quality. It is important to note that the main part of the knowledge in SAMSON is standardized and that efforts have been made on the user interface, in order to give SAMSON a professional skeleton.
KeywordsKnowledge Engineer Assess Life Cycle Software Type Life Cycle Phase Safety Critical System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DIN 88]Entwurf DIN IEC 45A(C0)88.Google Scholar
- [DUP 88]C.Dupont: “Specifications of an Expert System for Help to Software Quality Assessment”, ESPRIT project 1257 MUSE Q/R, February 1988Google Scholar
- [DUP 90]C.Dupont, W.Philipp: “Formalization of the Assessment of Software Quality Process and Results”, Second European Conference on Software Quality Assurance, Oslo May, June 1990Google Scholar
- [IEEE 83]IEEE “Standard Glossary of Software Engineering Terminology”, ANSI/IEEE std 729–1983Google Scholar
- [MCC 77]J.A. Mc Call, P.K. Richards, G.F. Walters: “Factors in Software Quality”, July 1977, RADC-TR-77-369Google Scholar
- [PHI 87]
- [PHI 88]W. PHILIPP, “Verification and Validation of the Software for the Local Core Monitoring System of the Fast Breeder Reactor in Kalfar (SNR 300)”, First European Software Conference, London, December 1988Google Scholar
- [RWT 88]B. HELLING, U. HEITKOETTER (RW-TUEV) “A Case Study: Experience and Lessons learned from Data Collection in a Safety Critical Project”, ESPRIT project MUSE report, September 1988Google Scholar
- [SIR 90]O. SIRVENT “SAMSON REQUIREMENTS” ESPRIT project 1257 MUSE, D10.4.1, April 9th 1990Google Scholar