Schottky Barrier Heights and the Continuum of Gap States
Simple physical considerations of local charge neutrality suggest that near a metal-semiconductor interface, the Fermi level in the semiconductor is pinned near an effective gap center, which is simply related to the bulk semiconductor band structure. In this way “canonical” Schottky barrier heights are calculated for several semiconductors. These are in excellent agreement with experiment for interfaces with a variety of metals.
KeywordsBarrier Height Decay Length Schottky Barrier Height Physical Review Letter Epitaxial Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Schottky, Phys. Z. 41, 570 (1940).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Bardeen, Phys. Rev. Tl, 717 (1947).Google Scholar
- 12.O. F. Sankey, R. E. Allen, and J. D. Dow, to be pub¬lished.Google Scholar
- 14.E. H. Rhoderick, Metal-Semiconductor Contacts (Clarendon, Oxford, 1978).Google Scholar
- 20.R. T. Tung, preceding Letter [Phys. Rev. Lett. 52, 461 (1984)]. Perfectly epitaxial interfaces, prepared by novel techniques, may exhibit barrier heights which are quite different from normal interfaces, and which depend strongly on the crystal orientation. For an ideal interface those approximations made here, which were justified by interfacial disorder, break down; it remains to be seen what light the present results may shed on epitaxial M-S interfaces.Google Scholar
- 21.E. O. Kane, private communication, and unpublished.Google Scholar
- 22.G. A. Baraff and M. Schluter, in Defects and Radiation Effects in Semiconductors—1980, edited by R. R. Hasiguti, The Institute of Physics Conference Series No. 59 (The Institute of Physics, London, 1981), p. 287.Google Scholar
- 23.A. Thanailakis and A. Rasul, J. Phvs. C 9, 337 (1976), and references therein.Google Scholar
- 24.S. M. Sze, Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Wiley, New York, 1969).Google Scholar
- 25.W. G. Spitzer and C. A. Mead, J. Appl. Phvs. 34, 3061 (1963); B. L. Smith, Ph.D. thesis, Manchester University, 1969 (unpublished) (from Ref. 14 above).Google Scholar