Clinical usefulness of linking biometry systems to personal computers
It was described how biometry, although readily associated with IOL calculation, is also an important constituent of other applications in ophthalmology. The benefits of using a commercial biometry unit as an acquisition device with a separate computer to process biometric data according to specific applications were pointed out. Based on this approach a clinical biometry system with the GBS as ultrasonic component was introduced. By linking the biometry unit to the world of IB-PC/XT/AT Personal Computers and their compatibles, an open system had been set up, which is easily adaptable to future requirements. Standard database software could be applied, which is widely in use and easy to handle. Some of the system’s performance features were illustrated with clinical examples.
KeywordsAxial Length Intraocular Lens Biometric Data Congenital Glaucoma Biometry Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gernet H, Ostholt H, Werner H. 1970. In: Ostholt H., H. Gernet, H. Werner (eds.) Ein neues Haftschalen-Nomogramm für Aphakie. 122. Vers. d. Ver. Rhein.-Westfäl. Augenärzte. Balve, Verlag Zimmermann, p. 54.Google Scholar
- Gernet H, Ostholt H, Werner H. 1978. Intraokulare Optik in Klinik und Praxis. Rothacker, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Haigis W, Buschmann W. 1987. Computer-assisted recording of eye growth in congenital glaucoma. In: Euroson 1987, Proc. of the 6th Congr. of the Europ. Fed. of Soc. f. Ultras, in Med., Helsinki, Finland, June 14–18, 1987. S. Bondestam, A. Alanen, D. Jouppila (eds) publ. by the Finn. Soc. for Ultras, in Med & Biol., p. 272.Google Scholar
- Haigis W. 1988. (to be published).Google Scholar
- Lepper RD, Trier HG. 1981. A new device for ocular biometry. In: Doc. Ophthal. Proc. Ser. 29, Thijssen JM, AM Verbeek (eds) Dr. W. Junk Publ., The Hague, p. 473.Google Scholar
- Prahs B. 1981a. A computerized method to analyse echograms for the calculation of intraocular lenses. In: Doc. Ophthal. Proc. Ser. 29, Thijssen JM, AM Verbeek (eds) Dr. W. Junk Publ., The Hague, p. 245.Google Scholar
- Prahs B. 1981b. Des mesures biometriques dans les glaucomes congenitaux primaires. Bull. Soc. Ophthalmol. Fr. 93, p. 405.Google Scholar
- Sampaolesi R. 1981a. Ocular echometry in the diagnosis of congenital glaucoma. In: Doc. Ophthal. Proc. Ser. 29, Thijssen JM, AM Verbeek (eds) Dr. W. Junk Publ., The Hague, p. 177.Google Scholar