Imagination for Engineering Ethicists
Has progress in the scholarship and teaching of engineering ethics begun to stagnate? This question, together with responses to it given by Steven Goldman1 and Langdon Winner, 2 motivated this paper.
KeywordsEngineer Ethicist Environmental Ethic Engineering Ethic Tenure Arrangement Strategic Defense Initiative
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Stephen linger, Controlling Technology: Ethics and the Responsible Engineer (New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1982 ), p. 60.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Gunn and P.A. Vesilind, Environmental Ethics for Engineers ( Chelsea, Mich.: Lewis, 1986 ).Google Scholar
- 7.Mario Salvadori, “Historical Sites and the Construction Engineer,” Journal of Construction (ASCE) 102 (June 1976): 295–301.Google Scholar
- 8.H.W. Cannon, Agreement Governing the Activities of States on the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies (Part 4), Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, U.S. Senate, November, 1980, pp. 452–454.Google Scholar
- 10.Peter Caws, “Praxis and Techne,” in G. Bugliarello and D. Doner, eds., The History and Philosophy of Technology ( New York: Harper and Row, 1978 ), pp. 227–237.Google Scholar
- 11.Tadeusz Kotarbinski, Praxiology ( Oxford: Pergamon, 1965 ).Google Scholar
- 12.See, for example, Ian Jarvie, “Technology and the Structure of Knowledge,” in C. Mitcham and R. Mackey, eds., Philosophy and Technology ( New York: Free Press, 1972 ), pp. 54–61.Google Scholar
- 14.W. Krohn and P. Weingart, “Commentary: Nuclear Power as a Social Experiment - European Political Tall Out’ from the Chernobyl Meltdown,” Science, Technology, and Human Values 12 (Spring 1987 ): 52–58.Google Scholar
- 15.Mike Martin and Roland Schinzinger, Ethics in Engineering ( New York: McGraw-Hill, 1983 ).Google Scholar
- 17.Henry Petroski, To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design ( New York: St. Martin’s Press, 1985 ).Google Scholar