Cost-73: The Development of a Weather Radar Network in Wester Europe
The last few years have seen a rapid development of operational weather radar networks in Western Europe funded in the main by national meteorological services. The need to exchange data with neighbouring countries was clear from the outset, and effective international cooperation was stimulated by the Commission of the European Communities (CEC) sponsored COST-72 Project. This has led to the setting up of a continuation project on weather radar networking known as COST-73. The need for a wider exchange of radar data is now recognised, and COST-73 is establishing guidelines which will underpin future developments. In this paper we outline the research aims of COST-73, and illustrate how data from many countries have already been combined in real-time for use in several application areas. Finally possible future organizational structures which might lead to the establishment of an operational exchange of data throughout Europe and associated research programmes, are noted.
KeywordsRadar Data World Meteorological Organisation Doppler Radar Weather Radar Radar Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bell, R.S. and Hammon, O. 1989 “The sensitivity of fine-mesh rainfall forecasts to changes in the initial moisture fields,” Met. Mag., June.Google Scholar
- Beringuer, B. 1989 “Review of the telecommunications work of COST-73,” this volume.Google Scholar
- Collier, C.G., Fair, C.A. and Newsome, D.H. 1988 “International weather-radar networking in Western Europe,”Google Scholar
- Golden, J.H. 1989 “The prospects and promise of NEXRAD: 1990s and beyond,” this volume.Google Scholar
- Golding, B.W. 1987 “Strategies for using mesoscale data in an operational mesoscale model,” Preprint Vol., Workshop on Satellite and Radar Imagery Interpretation, Reading, England, 20–24 July, publ. by Eumetsat, pp 341–364.Google Scholar
- Mills, G.A. 1983 “The sensitivity of a numerical prognosis to moisture detail in the initial state,” Aust. Met. Mag., 31, pp 111–119.Google Scholar
- Newsome, D.H. 1989 “Practical applications of weather radar data in Europe,” this volume.Google Scholar
- Roesli, H-P, Joss, J. and Collier, C.G. 1987 “COST-73 and its application in very short range forecasting,” Proc. Symp. on Mesoscale Analysis and Forecasting, Vancouver, 17–19 August, European Space Agency, Special Publ. No. ESA SP-282, pp 13–18.Google Scholar