Generation of Cosmic Magnetic Fields
The generation of magnetic fields by dynamo action of cosmic turbulent plasmas is considered. Three levels of the consideration are discussed: (1) the mean field behaviour, (2) deviations from the mean field, i.e. magnetic fluctuations, and (3) the generation and distribution of random magnetic field in the random flow of a conducting plasma. Examples of magnetic fields generated in the Uranus and Neptune interiors, in the Sun, and in the clusters of galaxies are presented.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Secular Variation Differential Rotation Magnetic Reynolds Number Dynamo Action
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kleeorin, N.I., Ruzmaikin, A.A., and Sokoloff, D.D. 1986, Correlation properties of self-exciting fluctuating magnetic flelds. Proceedings Varenna-Abastumani Intern.School “Plasma Astrophysics”, ESA SP-251, pp.557-561, Paris.Google Scholar
- Krause, F. and Rädler, K.-H. 1980, Mean-field magneto-hydrodynamics and dynamo theory. Akademie Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Moffatt, H.K. 1978, Magnetic field generation in eletrically conducting fluids, Cambridge Univ.Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Molchanov, S.A., Ruzmaikin, A.A., and Sokoloff, D.D. 1989, Self-excitation and reconnections of magnetic field in random flow, Proceedings of the workshop “Topological fluid mechanics”, ed. by K. H. Moffatt, Cambridge Univ.Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Parker, E.N. 1979, Cosmic magnetic fields. Clarendon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Ruzmaikin, A.A. 1989, Order and chaos in solar cycle, Proceedings of lAU Symposium N138 “Solar Photoshere”, ed. I. Stenflo, Kluwer, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Ruzmaikin, A.A., Shukurov, A.M., and Sokoloff, D.D. 1988, Magnetic fields of galaxies, Kluwer, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Ruzmaikin, A.A., Shukurov, A.M., and Sokoloff, D.D. 1989a, On the origin of secular variations of the Earth magnetic field, Geomagnetism and Aeronomy (in press).Google Scholar
- Ruzmaikin, A.A., Shukurov, A.M., and Sokoloff, D.D. 1989b, The dynamo origin of magnetic fields in galaxy clusters, Mon. Not. Roy. Astr. Soc. (in press).Google Scholar
- Stix, M. 1989, The Sun, Kluwer, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Zeldovich,Y.B., Ruzmaikin,A.A., and Sokoloff, D.D. 1983, Magnetic fields in astrophysics, Gordon and Breach, New-York, London, Paris.Google Scholar
- Zeldovich, Ya.B., Molchanov, S.A., Ruzmaikin, A.A., and Sokoloff, D. 1987, Intermittency in random media, Soviet Phys.Uspehi, 152, 3–32.Google Scholar