The Far-UV Spectra of Early-Type Galaxies
The principal purpose of the present review is to summarize the current body of knowledge of the UV energy distributions of early-type galaxies. The emphasis will be on those issues, both observational and theoretical, that exist today (for previous reviews of this subject, see Bertola 1987, 1988). It is anticipated that several of these issues will be settled shortly by Hubble Space Telescope observations (perhaps before the proceedings containing this paper is published). However, a physical understanding of some of these issues will probably require as careful and voluminous a study of the UV spectral energy distributions as has already been done for optical spectral energy distributions.
KeywordsStar Formation Stellar Population Spectral Energy Distribution Young Star Asymptotic Giant Branch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bertola, F., 1987, in Cooling Flows in Clusters and Galaxies, p. 127, ed. A.C. Fabian, ( Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers).Google Scholar
- Bertola, F., 1988, in A Decade of UV Astronomy with IUE, ESA SP-281, p. 63Google Scholar
- Bertola, F., Burstein, D. & Buson L.M., 1989, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Brocato, E., Matteucci, F., Mazzitelli, I. & Tornambe, A., 1989, preprint.Google Scholar
- Burstein, D., Bertola, F., Buson, L.M., Faber, S.M. & Lauer, T.R., 1988b, in Towards Understanding Galaxies at Large Redshift, p. 23, eds. R.G. Kron & A. Renzini, ( Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers).Google Scholar
- Fanelli, M., O’Connell, R.W., Burstein, D. & Wu, C.C. 1990, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Greggio, L., k Renzini A., 1989, this meeting.Google Scholar
- Mcnamara, B.R. & O’Connell, R.W., 1989, preprint.Google Scholar
- O’Connell, R.W., 1987, in Starbursts and Galaxy Evolution, p. 367, eds. T. Montmerle & T. Thuan, ( Paris: Editions Frontieres).Google Scholar
- Renzini, A., 1987, in Stellar Populations, p. 213, eds. C.A. Norman, A. Renzini & M. Tosi, ( Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).Google Scholar