Some Aspects of Starburst Galaxies
Three basic aspects of starburst galaxies are discussed. The structure of the interstellar medium of disk galaxies is analyzed and the various modes outlined, namely, the three-phase, the chimney, and the two phase modes. The transitions amongst these states in a starburst phase are discussed. The problem of triggering the burst and of accumulating large amounts of gas in the central regions is studied. The complex interaction between a bar, a central mass concentration such as a black hole, and a system of massive molecular clouds is described and it is shown how very enhanced accretion of gas clouds into the central regions can occur. Implications for the state of galaxies undergoing starbursts are examined including: the interaction of a central starburst with an active galactic nucleus; the production of superwinds and the consequences for quasar absorption lines; and the starbursts seen in high redshift radio galaxies which indicate a possible feedback of the early prodigous burst of star formation on the structure of the underlying galaxy or protogalaxy itself.
KeywordsBlack Hole Star Formation Radio Source Interstellar Medium Active Galactic Nucleus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bergeron, J., 1988, in Quasar Absorption Lines, eds. C. Blades et al. (Cambridge University Press), p. 127.Google Scholar
- Brinks, E., 1984, PhD Thesis, University of Leiden.Google Scholar
- Kunth, D., 1987, in Quasar Absorption Lines, Paris Meeting 1987, eds. D. Kunth and J. Bergeron.Google Scholar
- Kulkarni, S. R. and Heiles, C., 1988, in Galactic and Extragalactic Radio Astronomy, eds. K. I. Kellerman and G. L. Verschuur, p. 95 (Springer-Verlag).Google Scholar
- Norman, C. A., 1986, Star Forming Dwarf Galaxies, ed. D. Kunth and T. Thuan, Reidel, 371.Google Scholar
- Norman, C. A., 1988a, in Starbursts and Galaxy Evolution, eds. T. X. Thuan and T. Montmerle, p. 483 (Editions Frontiers).Google Scholar
- Norman, C. A., 1988b, in Galactic and Extragalactic Star Formation, eds. R. Pudritz and M. Fich, p. 495 (Reidel).Google Scholar
- Norman, C. A. and Hasan, H., 1989, Ap. J, in preparation.Google Scholar
- Pfenniger, D. and Norman, C. A., 1989, Ap. J., in preparationGoogle Scholar
- Sofue, Y., 1988, Publ. Astron. Soc. Japan, 40, 843.Google Scholar
- Wolfe, A., 1988 in Quasar Absorption Lines: Probing the Universe, eds. J. C. Blades, C. A. Norman and D. A. Turnshek (Cambridge University Press), p. 297.Google Scholar