Convection in the Sun
The present knowledge of the dynamics and structure of the solar convection zone is reviewed with the aim of checking current assumptions and conjectures against laboratory experiments and numerical modeling of thermal convection. Buoyancy is the only forcing considered. Rotation and magnetic fields are explicitly avoided. Nor are departures from planar geometry considered, except as regards large scale structures. Local theories are reviewed in section §2, hydrodynamic models in §3, non-local theories in §4, the global structure of the convection zone is discussed in §5 and the flow patterns in §6.
KeywordsNusselt Number Rayleigh Number Thermal Convection Convection Zone Stable Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Castaing, B., Gunaratne, G., Heslot, F.L., Kadanoff, L., Libchaber,A., Thomae, S., Wu, X.Z., Zaleski, S. and Zanetti, G. 1989, “Scaling of Hard Turbulence in Rayleigh-Benard Convection”. J. Fluid Mech,(in press).Google Scholar
- Christensen-Dalsgaard, J., Gough, D.O. and Thomson, 1989, (poster, this meeting).Google Scholar
- Hurlburt, N.E., Toomre, J., Massaguer, J.M. 1989, “Penetration and Mixing Below a Convection Zone” (preprint).Google Scholar
- Marcus, P.S. 1986, in Astrophysical Radiation Hydrodynamics. K.-H.A. Winkler and M.L. Norman (eds.), pp. 387–414. Reidel.Google Scholar
- Massaguer, J.M., Mercader, I., Net M. 1989, “Non-linear Dynamics of Vertical Vorticity in Low-Prandtl-Number Thermal Convection”. J. Fluid Mech. (in press).Google Scholar
- Merryfield, W.J. 1989, (poster, this meeting).Google Scholar
- Ribes, E. and Mein, P. 1985, in “High Resolution in Solar Physics”. R. Muller (ed.), Lecture Notes in Physics, 233, pp. 282–285. Springer.Google Scholar
- Spiegel, E.A. 1966, in “Stellar Evolution” pp., 143–173. Plenum PressGoogle Scholar
- Stein, R.F. And Nordlund, A. 1989, “Topology of convection beneath the solar surface”. Ap. J. Lett.. (in press).Google Scholar
- Tooth, P.D. and Gough, D.O. 1989, (poster, this meeting).Google Scholar
- Zahn, J.P. 1987, in “Solar and Stellar Physics.” Lecture Notes in Physics,292, 55.Google Scholar