Using Helioseismic Data to Probe the Hydrogen Abundance in the Solar Core
A procedure for inverting helioseismic data to determine the hydrogen abundance in the radiative interior of the sun is briefly described. Using Backus-Gilbert optimal averaging, the variation of sound speed, density and hydrogen abundance in the energy-generating core is estimated from low-degree p-mode frequencies. The result provides some evidence for there having been some redistribution of material during the sun’s main-sequence evolution. The inversion also suggests that the evolutionary age of the sun is perhaps some 10 per cent greater than the generally accepted value, and that the solar neutrino flux, based on standard nuclear and particle physics, is about 75 per cent of the standard-model value.
KeywordsSound Speed Optimal Average Solar Model Neutrino Flux Ionization Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christensen-Dalsgaard, J. (1988) Seismology of the sun and sun-like stars (ed. E. J. Rolfe, ESA SP-286, Noordwijk) 431.Google Scholar
- Déppen, W., Gough, D. O. and Thompson, M. J. (1988) Seismology of the sun and sun-like stars (ed. E. J. Rolfe, ESA SP-286, Noordwijk) 505.Google Scholar
- Gough, D. O. (1983) Primordial helium(ed. P. A. Shaver, D. Kunth and K. Kjär, ESO, Garching ) 117.Google Scholar
- Gough, D. O. (1988) Solar-terrestrial relationships and the Earth environment in the last millenia (ed. G. Cini-Castagnoli, Varenna Summer School, Soc. Italiana Fisica) 95, 90.Google Scholar
- Gough, D. O. (1989) Dynamiques des fluides astrophysiques (ed. J-P. Zahan and J. Zinn-Justin, Les Houches Session XLVII, 1987, Elsevier) in press.Google Scholar
- Gough, D. O. and Kosovichev, A. G. (1988) Seismology of the sun and sun-like stars (ed. E. J. Rolfe, ESA Publ. SP-286, Noordwijk) 195.Google Scholar
- Henning, H. M. and Scherrer, P. H. (1986) Seismology of the sun and the distant stars (ed. D. O. Gough, Reidel, Dordrecht ) 55.Google Scholar
- Kosovichev, A. G. and Severny, A. B. (1985) Bull. Crimea. Astrophys. Obs., 72, 188.Google Scholar
- Marchuk, G. I. (1977) Methods in Computational Mathematics, Nauka, MoscowGoogle Scholar
- Masters, G. (1979) Geophys. J. Roy astr. Soc., 57, 507.Google Scholar
- Shibahashi, H. and Sekii, T. (1988) Seismology of the sun and sun-like stars (ed. E. J. Rolfe, ESA ESP-286, Noordwijk) 471.Google Scholar
- Vorontsov, S. V. (1988) Seismology of the sun and sun-like stars (ed. E. J. Rolfe, ESA ESP-286, Noordwijk) 475.Google Scholar