The Effect of Photosynthesis on Different Steps of Dark Respiration
The physiological and biochemical studies of the interaction of photosynthesis and dark respiration in the light give conflicting conclusions. It should be stressed that the most of these investigations were carried out on different green plant material (algae, protoplasts or whole leaves), where oxidative pentose phosphate pathway (OPPP), glycolysis, Krebs cycle oxidative phosphorylation were studied separetely (1,2,3,4,5,6). No attempts have been made to consider the interaction of different steps of dark respiration during photosynthesis on the one plant under constant conditions. We have accordingly investigated the major dark respiration reactions — OPPP, glycolysis and Kreb cycle — on the leaves of different plants under conditions optimal photosynthesis by means of specific exogenous labelled substrates.
KeywordsKrebs Cycle Dark Respiration Total Uptake Green Cell Barley Seedling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Graham,D.(1980) in The Biochemistry of Plants (Davis,D. ed.)v 2,pp.526–575,Academic Press,New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Moyse,A.(l982) Bull.Soc.Bot.Fr.,129,Act.Bot.,53–72Google Scholar
- 4.Singh, P.,Naik,M.(1984) FEBS LETTERS,65,H5–H9Google Scholar
- 7.Bassham, J.,Calvin,M. (1957) The path of carbon in photosynthesis. Prentice-Hall,NewJersey,104p.Google Scholar
- 8.Voznesensky,V., Zalensky,O., Semikhatova,O.(1965)The methods of investigation photosynthesis and respiration of plants.Moskow.Hauka,305p.Google Scholar
- 9.Semikhatova, O.,Chulanovskaya, M.,Metzner,H.,(1971) in Plant photosynthetic production.Manual of methods.(Sestac, Z.,ed.),Hague,238–256Google Scholar
- 10.Ried, A.,Setlik, I.,Berkova, E.(1973) Photosynthetica,7,161–176Google Scholar
- 11.Raven, J.(1976) in The Intact Chloroplast (Barber, J., ed.),Vol.1,pp.403–443,Elsevier,AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 12.Fillipova, L.,Mamushina, N.,Zubkova, E.,Miroslavov, E.,Kudinova, G.(1986) Fisiol.Rast. (USSR),33,66–73Google Scholar