Overview of Polymer Micelles
Micelles of block and graft copolymers belong to a broad family of polymer colloids. This family covers self-associating, self-assembling or self-organizing polymeric systems that possess surface-active or colloidal properties. The term “polymer colloids” may sound controversial. At the beginning of the polymer science as a new field of chemistry, most chemists claimed that large organic molecules, i.e., macromolecules or polymers, did not exist. Seventy years ago, even the most enlightened organic chemists believed that cellulose, proteins and polymers synthesized in laboratory were only colloids, i.e., aggregates of small organic molecules. Later, when the existence of macromolecules was undisputably recognized, polymer science was treated, in many textbooks of physical chemistry in chapters about colloids. That is why some polymer scientists dislike the word “colloid” and are reluctant to accept the name of a 30 years old branch of polymer science, polymer colloidics.
KeywordsBlock Copolymer Dynamic Light Scattering Graft Copolymer Triblock Copolymer Diblock Copolymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Riess, G., Hourtrez, G., and Bahadur, P. (1985) Block copolymers, in H.F. Mark and N.M. Bikales (eds.),Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, pp. 324–434.Google Scholar
- Gallot, B. and Sadron, Ch. (1971) A new kind of polymeric material,Macromolecules4, 514–515. Google Scholar
- 9.Bresler, S.E., Pyrkov, L.M., Frenkel, S.Ya., Laius L.A., and Klenin S.I. (1962) Molecular conformation of 4/5 block copolymer of styrene and isoprene,Vysokomol. Soyed. 4, 250–255.Google Scholar
- 12.Spěác;ě, J. (1982) 1H NMR study of styrene-butadiene block copolymer micelles in selective solvents,Makromol. Chem., Rapid Commun.4, 697–703.Google Scholar
- 23.Zhulina, Y.B. and Birshtein, T.M. (1985) Conformations of molecules of block copolymers in selective solvents (micellar structures), Vysokomol. Soyed. 27, 511– 517.Google Scholar
- 27.Price, C. Kendall, K.D. Stubbersfield, R.B. and Wright, B. (1983) Thermodynamics of micellization of polystyrene-b-poly (ethylene/propylene) block copolymer in n-decane,Polym. Commun.24, 326–328.Google Scholar
- 43.Ceresa, R.J. (1969) Effect of sequential arrangements on block copolymer properties,J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Symp.(C)26, 201–206.Google Scholar