Triticale Breeding in Fundulea-Romania
The triticale breeding program started in Romania at Fundulea in 1971. The first cultivar TF 2 was released in 1985 and the largest area grown reached 25.000 ha in 1987.
In 1992 and 1993 two other commercial cultivars Plai and Colina were registered. Both of them show significant improvement in yield capacity, test weight, tillering ability, spike fertility, winter hardiness and resistance to lodging in comparison with TF 2.
Progress in resistance to lodging was achieved by transfer of Rht 1 and H 1 genes for reduced plant height from wheat and rye respectively. In preliminary trials some of the short straw triticale lines had similar yields with the normal height type, while the level of winter hardiness and Septoria nodorum resistance is still lower.
KeywordsFusarium Head Blight Test Weight Winter Hardiness Aluminium Tolerance Reduce Plant Height
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Saulescu N. Hibridul griu-secara. Revista Adamache-lasi 1927;Google Scholar
- 2.Priadcencu Al. Contributii la studiul hibrizilor indepartati.AN. ICAR, X X 1939;Google Scholar
- 3.Saulescu N.N., Eustatiu N. Triticale-progress and prospects in breeding. Probl. genet. teor. aplic. 1972; XV: 314–346.Google Scholar
- 4.Ittu G., Mariana Ittu, Saulescu N.N., Preliminary results of resistance in triticale to Fusarium head blight. Probl. genet.teor.aplic. 1990; XXIII: 91–98.Google Scholar
- 5.Ittu G., Aurelia Jilaveanu, Saulescu N.N. Preliminary results of genetical resistance to BYDV in winter hexaploid triticale. Probl. genet. teor. aplic. 1990; XXIII: 147–150.Google Scholar
- 6.Verzea M. Crossability of tetraploid and hexaploid wheat with diploid rye. Proceedings of the Second International Triticale Symposium; 1991; Mexico DF. CIMMYT 157–160.Google Scholar
- 7.Ittu G., Saulescu N.N., Tapu C., Ceapoiu N. Triticale cultivar TF 2 (X Triticosecale Witt.). An. ICCPT,1986; LVI: 43–55.Google Scholar