Estimates of Combining Ability for some Traits in Triticale
Combining ability analysis of some traits of winter triticale in crosses according to topeross system of four maternal and five paternal forms over generation F1 – F3 is reported. The F1 generation was tested in one locality while the F2 and F3 generations were tested in three localities. Five traits were analyzed: plant height, spike length, grain number and yield per spike, as well as 1000 grain weight. Based on the results of statistical analysis of the parents, F1, F2 and F3 generations, a highly significant general combining ability was found for all traits under study except 1000 grain weight in the F2 as well as grain yield per ear in the F3 generation.
Specific combining ability in F1 generation was significant for plant height, spike length, grain number per spike and grain yield per spike. In the F2 generation it was significant only for weight of 1000 grains, while in F3 generation specific combining ability was non significant.
KeywordsPlant Height Significant Positive Effect Spike Length Hexaploid Triticale Winter Triticale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Behl RK, Singh VP. Genetics of grain relation to total biological yield in Triticale. Wheat Information Service 1988; 67: 25–29.Google Scholar
- 2.Betel RK, Singh VP, Spalony L. Genetics of some grain characters in hexaploid triticale. Genetica Polonica 1985; 26 (4): 479–485.Google Scholar
- 3.Brar GS, Sandha GS, Vira DS. Multienvironmental diallel analysis for combining ability in triticale. Crop Improvement 1985; 12 /2: 106–110.Google Scholar
- 4.Carillo JM, Monteagudo A, Sanchez-Monge E. Inheritance of yield components and their relationship to plant height in hexaploid triticale. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenzuchtung 1983; 90: 153–165.Google Scholar
- 5.Dhindsa GS, Sandha GS, Gill KS. Genetics of combining ability for yield and its components characters in triticale. Journal of Recherach. Punjab Agricultural University, 1983; 22 /2: 199–205.Google Scholar
- 6.Gill KS, Bhardwaj HL, Dhindsa GS. Heterosis and combining ability in triticale. Cereal Research Communications, 1979; 7: 303–309.Google Scholar
- 7.Grzesik H. The results of studies carried out on dwarf mutants of winter hexaploid triticale. Cereal Research Communications, 1991; 19: 1–2, 91–99.Google Scholar
- 8.Kaltsikes PJ, Lee J. The mode of inheritance in hexaploid triticale. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenzuchtung, 1973; 69: 135–141.Google Scholar
- 9.Rao VR, Joshi MG. A study of inheritance of yield components in hexaploid triticale. Zeitschrift fur Pflanzenzuchtung, 1979; 82: 230–236.Google Scholar
- 11.Spiss L, Góra1 H. Efekt heterozji u pszenzyta. Zeszyty Problemowe IHAR. Hodowla Zbóz. Radzików, 1992; 41–48.Google Scholar
- 12.Wegrzyn S, Gzresik H. General and specific combining of F1 generation hybrids in some varieties and strains of hexaploid winter triticale. Annual Wheat Newsletter, 1992; 38: 164–165.Google Scholar
- 13.Wegrzyn S, Spiss L, Góral H. Oszacowanie zdolnosci kombinacyjnej kilku cech pszenzyta ozimego. Zeszyty Naukowe Akademii Rolniczej w Szczecinie (in press).Google Scholar