Meandering Propagation of Fatigue Cracks through Solids with Randomly Distributed Properties
A problem is discussed of fatigue crack propagation in solids with mechanical properties considered as a random field. Local kinking and branching of cracks are included into the study to estimate the influence of random meandering on the distribution of the averaged crack growth rate and the total fatigue life. Parametric analysis is performed to compare the contribution of various factors into the meandering propagation of fatigue cracks.
KeywordsFatigue Crack Stress Intensity Factor Crack Growth Rate Fatigue Crack Growth Fatigue Crack Propagation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bolotin, V.V. (1983) Equations of fatigue crack growth, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Tverd. Tela (MTT), 4, 153–160 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Bolotin, V.V. (1989) Prediction of Service Life for Machines and Structures, New York, ASME Press.Google Scholar
- Bolotin, V.V. (1990) Mechanics of fatigue fracture. In Nonlinear Fracture Mechanics, CISM Course N 314 (M.P.Wnuk, ed.), Springer-Verlag, Wien - New York, pp. 1–60.Google Scholar
- Bolotin, V.V. (1993) Random initial defects and fatigue life prediction, in Stochastic Approaches to Fatigue (K.Sobczyk, ed.) CISM Course N 334 Springer-Verlag, Wien - New York, pp. 126–163.Google Scholar
- Bolotin, V.V. (1994) Mechanics of fatigue crack growth as a synthesis of micro- and macromechanics of fracture, in Handbook of Fatigue Crack Propagation in Metallic Structures (A.Carpinteri., ed.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 883–911.Google Scholar
- Bolotin, V.V. and Kovekh, V.M. (1993) Numerical simulation of fatigue crack growth in a medium with microdamage, Izv. RAN\Mekh. Tverd. Tela (MTT), 2, 132 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Krajcinovic, D. andLemaitre, J. (1987) Continuum Damage Mechanics - Theory and Applications, Wien - New York, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Pook, L.P. (1994). Mixed mode crack propagation, in Handbook of Fatigue Crack Propagation in Metallic Structures (A. Carpinteri, ed.), Amsterdam, Elsevier, pp. 1027–1072.Google Scholar
- Ramulu M. and Kobayashi A.S. (1994) Numerical and experimental study of mixed mode fatigue crack propagation, in Handbook o f Fatigue Crack Propagation in Metallic Structures. (A.Carpinteri., ed.), Amsterdam: Elsevier, pp. 1073–1123.Google Scholar