Fundamental Aspects of the Coupling of Non-Equilibrium Vibrational Kinetics and Dissociation-Recombination Processes with the Boundary Layer Fluidynamics in N2 and Air Hypersonic Flows
A ladder climbing model including V-V (vibration-vibration), V-T (vibration-translation) energy exchange processes linked to a dissociation recombination kinetics has been developed and inserted in the fluid dynamics equations describing the boundary layer surrounding a non-catalitic surface hilted by an hypersonic flow of atomic and vibrationally excited molecular nitrogen.
The results show a strong overpopulation of vibrational levels with respect to Boltzmann distributions along the coordinate perpendicular to the surface and a corresponding non-Arrhenius behaviour of dissociation constants.
The extension of the model to the air system confirm the strong non-equilibrium character of the relevant kinetics even though the reaction between vibrationally excited nitrogen and atomic oxygen controls both N2 dissociation and NO formation
KeywordsBoundary Layer Dissociation Constant Vibrational Level Hypersonic Flow Arrhenius Behaviour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- - Armenise, I., Capitelli,M., Celiberto,R., Colonna,G. Gorse, C., and Laganà, A. (1994) The effect of N + N2 collisions on the non-equilibrium vibrational distributions of nitrogen under reentry conditions Chem. Phys. Lett. 227, pp. 157–163Google Scholar
- Armenise, I., Capitelli,M., Celiberto,R., Colonna,G. Gorse, C. (1994) Non-equilibrium vibrational distributions of N2 under reentry conditions: the role of atomic nitrogen AIAA/ASME 6th Joint Thermophysics and Heat Transfer Conference–June 20–23, 1994/Colorado Springs, Colorado, paper n. 94–1987Google Scholar
- Armenise, I., Capitelli,M., and Gorse, C. (1995) On the coupling of non-equilibrium vibrational kinetics and dissociation-recombination processes in the boundary layer surrounding an hypersonic reentry vehicule ESA SP-367, pp.287–292Google Scholar
- - Armenise,I., Capitelli,M., Colonna,G., Koudriavtsev, N. and Smetanin,V. (1995) Non-equilibrium vibrational kinetics during hypersonic flow of a solid body in nitrogen ant its influence on the surface heat transfer Plasma Chem. Plasma Proc. Vol. 15 No. 3, pp. 501–528Google Scholar
- - Armenise,I., Capitelli,M., Colonna,G.,Gorse,C. (1996) Non-equilibrium vibrational kinetics in the boundary layer of reentering bodies J.Thermophysics and Heat Transfer,in pressGoogle Scholar