Advances in transcatheter endocardial mapping and radiofrequency ablation of ventricular arrhythmias
Transcatheter localization (‘mapping’) of critical conduction regions, followed by radiofrequency (RF) energy delivery for targeted ablation of appropriate cardiac tissues, have proved highly successful for eliminating susceptibility to the most common types of paroxysmal reentrant supraventricular tachycardias (i.e., reentry within the AV node and reentry utilizing accessory pathways). Similarly, specialized forms of ventricular tachycardia (bundle-branch reentry, right ventricular outflow tract tachycardia, and certain idiopathic left ventricular tachycardias) can be readily mapped and treated by these techniques [1–4]. In contrast, conventional transcatheter mapping and RF ablation have proven less reliable in the setting of paroxysmal ventricular tachycardia associated with the most prevalent forms of structural heart disease, particularly ischemic heart disease [1, 5, 6].
KeywordsVentricular Tachycardia Catheter Ablation Structural Heart Disease Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation Reentry Circuit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Farre J, Rubio JM, Negrete A et al. Radiofrequency catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia in patients with structural heart disease: Pathophysiologic considerations to simplify the selection of the target sites. In Cardiac Arrhythmias 1995. Raviele A (ed), Milan, Spring- Verlag Italia, 1995, pp 55–64.Google Scholar
- 6.Borggrefe M, Chen X, Hindricks G et al. Catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia in patients with heart disease. In Zipes DP (ed): Catheter ablation of arrhythmias. Armonk: Futura Publishing Co 1994; 277–308.Google Scholar
- 9.Gonska BD, Brune S, Bethge KP, Kreuzer H. Catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia with high frequency current (Abstract). Eur Heart J 1988; 9 (Supp I): 263.Google Scholar
- 13.Beatty GE, Hansen R, Remole SC, Holte JE, Benditt DG. In vitro thoracic model for validation of a non-contact recording technique for faithful reproduction of endocardial potentials (Abstract). PACE 1993; 16: 935.Google Scholar
- 14.Beatty GE, Adler SW, Benditt DG. Non-contact measurement of endocardial potentials with a percutaneously introduced multi-electrode array catheter (Abstract). Circulation 1994; 90: 280.Google Scholar
- 15.Beatty GE, Remole SC, Hansen R, Johnston MK, Holte JE, Benditt DG. Non-contact electrical extrapolation technique to reconstruct endocardial potentials (Abstract). Eur J Cardiac Pacing Electrophysiol 1994; 4: 159.Google Scholar
- 16.Jackman W, Beatty G, Scherlag B et al. Noncontact catheter multielectrode array accurately reconstructs left ventricular endocardial potentials (Abstract). PACE 1995; 18: 898.Google Scholar
- 18.Adler SW, Lafontaine D, Hastings R, Lurie KG, Sakaguchi S, Benditt DG. Hydro-ablation: A new method for transcatheter radiofrequency ablation (Abstract). Eur J Cardiac Pacing Electrophysiol 1994; 4: 192.Google Scholar