Comets,Meteorites and Atmospheres
The relatively low value of Xe/Kr in the atmospheres of Earth and Mars seems to rule out meteorites as the major carriers of noble gases to the inner planets. Laboratory experiments on the trapping of gases in ice forming at low temperatures suggest that comets may be a better choice. It is then possible to develop a model for the origin of inner planet atmospheres based on volatiles delivered by comets added to volatiles originally trapped in planetary rocks. The model will be tested by results from the Galileo Entry Probe.
KeywordsTerrestrial Planet Solar Nebula Comet Nucleus Martian Atmosphere Oort Cloud
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bogard, D.D. and Johnson, P.1983, Martian gases in an Antarctic meteorite? Science 221, 651–654.Google Scholar
- Boss, A.P., Morfill, G.E. and Tscharnuter, W.M. 1989, Models for the formation and evolution of the solar nebula. In Origin and Evolution of Planetary and Satellite Atmospheres, ed. S.K. Atreya, J.B. Pollack, and M. S. Matthews, U. of Ariz. Press, Tucson, pp. 487–512.Google Scholar
- Donahue, T. and Pollack, J.B.1983, Origin and evolution of the atmosphere of Venus. In Venus, ed. D.M. Hunten, L. Colin, T.M. Donahue, and V.I. Moroz, U. of Ariz. Press, Tucson, pp. 1003-1036.Google Scholar
- Dreibus, G. and Wanke, H.1989, Supply and loss of volatile constituents during the accretion of terrestrial planets. In Origin and Evolution of Planetary and Satellite Atmospheres, ed. S.K. Atreya, J.B. Pollack and M.S. Matthews, U. of Ariz. Press, Tucson, pp. 268-288.Google Scholar
- Kuiper, G.P.1951, Origin of the solar system. In Astrophysics, ed. J.A. Hynek, McGraw- Hill, New York, pp. 357–424.Google Scholar
- Oort, J.H.1990, Orbital distribution of comets. In Physics and Chemistry of Comets, ed. W.F. Huebner, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 235–245.Google Scholar
- Owen, T.1992, The composition and early history of the atmosphere of Mars. In Mars, ed. H.H. Kieffer, B.M. Jakosky, C.W. Snyder, and M.S. Matthews, Univ. of Ariz. Press, Tucson, pp. 818–834.Google Scholar
- Owen, T., and Bar-Nun, A.1995, Comets, impacts and atmospheres. Icarus, in press.Google Scholar