A decomposition approach to multiregional environmental planning: A numerical study
The aim of this paper is to present the first experiments in using a new mathematical programming decomposition technique for solving multi-regional energy-environment planning models. The paper shows that: (i) the approach can be efficiently implemented for coupling several large-scale energy models; and (ii) the consideration of several European countries together indicates the benefits to be gained from an harmonization of a possible C02 tax.
KeywordsInterior Point Method Decomposition Approach Master Program Interior Point Algorithm Paul Scherrer Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bahn, O., du Merle, O., Goffin, J.-L., and Vial, J.-P. (1995). “A Cutting Plane Method from Analytic Centers for Stochastic Mathematical Programming”, Programming 69, pp. 45–73.Google Scholar
- CPLEX (1992). CPLEX User’s Guide, CPLEX Optimization Inc., Incline Village, NV.Google Scholar
- IBM (1991). Optimization Subroutine Library, Guide and Reference, IBM Corporation, Kingston, NY.Google Scholar
- Kypreos, S. (1990). Energy Scenarios for Switzerland and Emission Control, Estimated with a Normative Model, Paul Scherrer Institute, Villigen, Switzerland, PSI-Bericht No 70.Google Scholar
- Loehman, E. and Whinston, A. (October 1974). “An Axiomatic Approach to Cost Allocation for Public Investment”, Public Finance Quaterly, pp. 315–328.Google Scholar
- Loulou, R., Savard, G., and Lavigne, D. (July 1992). “Decomposition of Multi-Player Linear Programs”, Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Dynamic Games and Applications, Conches, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Nesterov, Y. (1995). “Complexity Estimates of Some Cutting Plane Methods Based on the Analytic Barrier”, Mathematical Programming 69, pp. 149–176.Google Scholar
- Okken, P.A., Kram, T., Lako, P., Ybema, J.R., Gerbers, D. and Doorn, J.V. (January/May 1993). “Energy Systems Under C02 Constraints: An Integrated Assessment of Technology Options for Reducing C02 Emissions in the Netherlands Energy System up to 2040”, ECN-C-93-13.Google Scholar
- Shapley, L.S. (1953). “A Value for n-Person Games”, in H.W. Kuhn and A.W. Tucker (Eds.), Annals of Mathematical Studies, No. 28, Contributions to the Theory of Games, Vol. II, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, pp. 307–317.Google Scholar
- Van Rensbergen, J., Van Regemorter, D., Debruyn, W., Wouters, G., and Proost, S. (June1993). “C02 emission reduction strategies in Belgium: an analysis with the MARKAL model”, VITO/CES report ENE.RA9309.Google Scholar
- Van Der Voort, E., Donni, E. and Thonet, C, Bois D’Enghien. E. Dechamps, C. and Guilmot, J.F. (1984). ENERGY SUPPLY Modelling Package EFOM-12C Mark I, Mathematical Description, CAB AY, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium.Google Scholar