Fuzzy Decision-Making Applications in Nuclear Science
Fuzzy set theory has been extensively researched in various fields of engineering. In nuclear science, a significant influence of fuzzy sets can be noticed. However, applications of fuzzy set theory to nuclear engineering is novel. In this paper, we start with a basic statement of the decision-making process based on fuzzy set theory, and then apply it to nuclear science with some practical applications (a fuzzy decision making in an accidental release to the atmosphere as well as in a problem of land suitability classification). We believe that the use of fuzzy set theory in nuclear science has potential advantages, and the fuzzy approach represents the available information in a meaning tractable way, and supplies the decision maker with more analytical information on ranges of sensitivity of decisions, rather than for obtaining a ranking of feasible actions.
KeywordsMembership Function Decision Theory Fuzzy Decision Fuzzy Environment Accidental Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.FAO (1976) A framework for land evaluation, FAO Soils Bulletin 32, FAO, Rome.Google Scholar
- 4.Gençay, S. (1991) Site selection for nuclear plants using fuzzy decision analysis, Kerntechnik 56 (5), pp. 320–327.Google Scholar
- 8.Ruan, D. (1990) A critical study of widely used fuzzy implication operators and their influence on the inference rules in fuzzy expert systems, PhD thesis, University of Gent, Belgium.Google Scholar
- 9.Ruan, D. (1991) Critical study of fuzzy implication operators and their influence on approximate reasoning, In E.E. Kerre (Ed.), Introduction to the basic principles of fuzzy set theory and some of its applications, Communication and Cognition, Gent. Belgium, pp. 214–251.Google Scholar
- 12.Sohier, A., Van Camp, M., Ruan, D. and Govaerts, P. (1993) Methods for radiological assessment in the near-field during the early phase of an accidental release of radioactive material using an incomplete data base, Radiation Protection Dosimetry 50 (2–4), pp. 321–325.Google Scholar
- 13.Tang, H. and Ruan, D. (1992) Land use suitability assessment for Irrigated maize based on fuzzy set theory, in Int. Conf. Advances in planning, design and management of irrigation systems as related to sustainable land use, Leuven, Belgium, 14–17 September 1992. pp. 597–605.Google Scholar