Effects of Magnesium on Spermiogenesis
Years ago the women had to face society’s blame due to their childless marriages. The problem of infertility has increasingly been extended to anomalies in the male partner. Male fertility may also have various causes: reduced volume of ejaculate, decreases number and motility of sperms and increased proportion of abnormal (injured) sperms. It was found that as a result of ATP and cAMP supply in vitro in demembranated models the length of time of the sperms’ motility grew thirtyfold (122.0 min) compared to the control (4.2 min) [1,2]. This is made possible by the fact that the energy required for the motion of sperms is released from the ATP by the ATPase . According to Morisava  the motility of sperms needs the joint presence of cAMP and Mg ATP. It was found that the formation of ATP, as well as, cAMP is a magnesium intensive process [5,6]. It was also found in vivo that magnesium increases the sperm motility, while the sperm production inreases up to 80% .
KeywordsSeminal Plasma Magnesium Deficiency Magnesium Treatment Magnesium Therapy Damage Sperm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Nelson L. (1959) Cytochemical studies with the electron microscope. I. ATP in rat spermatozoa, Biochim. Biophysic. Acta 27: 639–641.Google Scholar
- 5.Kiss A.S. (1983): Magnezziumtragyazas, magnezzium a biologiagan, Mezogazdasagi Kiado Budapest.Google Scholar
- 6.Balla A., Kiss A.S. (1996): Magnezium a biologiaban, magnezzium a gyermek-gyogyaszatban, SzekelyudvarhelyGoogle Scholar
- 7.Kovacsne-Gaal, K. (1994) The importance of magnesium feeding in animal nutrition. In S. Golf (ed.) Magnesium, John Libey, london, pp 115–120Google Scholar
- 8.Gunther, T. Hollriegl, V. Merker, HJ., Vormann, J., Schumann, K (1995). Lipid peroxidation and morphology of testis in magnesium deficiency. Magn. Bull. 17, 132Google Scholar
- 9.Kiss I, Kiss S.S. (1994) Mutagenesis experiments in the presence of Magnesium Symposium, Balatonszeplak 15.Google Scholar
- 10.Kiss A.S., Kiss I. (1995) Effect of magnesium ions on fertility sexx ratio and mutagenesis on Drosophila melanogaster males, Magnesium Res. 8: 243–247Google Scholar
- 11.Viski S., Szollosi J, Kiss A.S., Csikkelne-Szolnoki A. (1995): A magnezium szerepe a ferfiak fertilitasaban, Szegedi Akademiai, Bizzottsag “Korneyezzetunk es az Egeszseg Anket” Elondas osazefoglaloi, SzegedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Badwey, J. A., Karnovsky, M.L.(1979), Production of superoxide and hydrogen peroxyde by an NADH- oxydase in guina pig polymorphonuclear leucocyte. J. Biol. Chem., 254, 11530–11537Google Scholar
- 13.Matkovics, B, Kiss, I., Kiss, A.S. (1996), A magneziumkezeles hatasa a Drosophila melanogaster enzimakti-vitasara, 6thHugarian Magnesium Symposium, BalatonszeplakGoogle Scholar