Atherogenic Lipid Fractions are Related to Free Magnesium Ion Status
Magnesium deficiency in experimental animals has been found to cause adverse alterations in the blood lipid composition [1,2] and to affect lipid infiltration into the endothelium , Diets supplemented with magnesium, on the other hand, have been shown to prevent the development of atherosclerosis by inhibiting lipid accumulation in the aortic wall . In spite of this pattern consistent correlations have not been demonstrated between magnesium and lipid concentrations . It has been questioned whether the total magnesium concentration in the blood reflects the biological activity of magnesium, since only about 60% of the magnesium in the blood is in a free, unbound state, as determined by indirect methods. More than 30% of the total serum magnesium is bound to proteins, mainly albumin, and the remaining 10% is bound to phosphate, citrate, and other substances . It has now become possible, by use of electrodes sensitive to ionized magnesium, to assess the concentration of free magnesium ions in the blood . The aim of the present study was to investigate the associations between variables reflecting lipid metabolism, on the one hand, and the free ion status and total magnesium concentration in the blood, on the other hand.
KeywordsMagnesium Concentration Magnesium Deficiency Serum Magnesium Concentration Free Magnesium Total Magnesium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rayssiguier, Y.: Magnesium, lipids and vascular diseases. Magnesium 5(1986),182–190Google Scholar
- 3.Yokoyama, S., Gu, J., Kashima, K., Nishida, H.I., Smith, T.L., Kummerov, F.A.: Combined effects of magnesium deficiency and the atherogenic level of low density lipoprotein on uptake and metabolism of low density lipoprotein by cultured human endothelial cells. Magnes Res 7(1994): 97–105Google Scholar
- 5.Speich, M., Gelot, S., Auget, J.: Pasma and erytrocyte magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper, phosphorus and cholesterols in a population of 1050 healthy adults. Mag-Bull 17(1995): 62–69Google Scholar
- 6.Walser, M.: Magnesium metabolism. Rev Physiol Biochem Exp Pharmacol 59(1967): 185–341Google Scholar
- 8.KONE: Users Manual to KONE Microlyte with Magnesium. Helsinki, Finland, 1993Google Scholar
- 9.Ising, H., Bertschat, F., Günther, T., Jeremias, E., Jeremias, A.: Measurement of free magnesium in blood, serum and plasma with an ion-selective electrode. Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 33(1995): 365–71Google Scholar