rDNA Sequencing: An Essential Guide to the Taxonomy and Diagnosis of Colletotrichum
In the genus Colletotrichum, reliance on morphological criteria has led to much taxonomic confusion. In the last few years, analysis of rDNA sequences has resolved many questions and it is now possible to propose a new taxonomy for the genus. Examples of incorrect identification are discussed. Accurate and predictive taxonomy, coupled with a full understanding of the extent of phenotypic variability, is essential for meaningful diagnosis. If diagnosis and taxonomy are correct, then pathogen behaviour can be predicted and its control, avoidance, elimination, etc become much easier.
KeywordsrDNA Sequence Infection Vesicle Incorrect Identification Colletotrichum Species Taxonomic Confusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bailey, J. A. and Jeger, M. J. 1992. “Colletotrichum: Biology, Pathology and Control”, CAB International, Wallingford, 388 pp.Google Scholar
- Bailey, J. A., Nash, C., Morgan, L.M. and O’Connell R.J. 1996. Molecular taxonomy of Colletotrichum species causing anthracnose on the Malvaceae. Phytopathology: in press.Google Scholar
- Latunde Dada, A. O., O’Connell, R. J., Nash, C., Pring, R. J., Mendgen, K., Lucas, J. A. and Bailey, J. A. 1996a. The infection process and identity of the hemibiotrophic anthracnose fungus (Colletotrichum destructivum O’Gara) from cowpea (Vigna inguiculata (L.) Walp. Mycol. Res. 100: 1133–1141.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Latunde Dada, A. O., Lucas, J. A. and Bailey, J.A. 1996b. Infection process of C. destructivum (O’Gara) from lucerne (Medicago sativa L.). Eur. J. Plant Pathol, in press.Google Scholar
- Sreenivasaprasad, S., Mills, P.R. and Brown, A.E. 1994. Nucleotide sequence of the rDNA spacer 1 enables identification of isolates of Colletotrichum as C. acutatum. Mycol. Res. 186–188.Google Scholar