Image Enhancement Methods for a Customized Videokeratography System Designed for Animals with Small Eyes
We built a Placido’s disc videokeratographic system intended for eye examination of small animals. To derive the corneal topology and other corneal biometric parameters we rely on precise extraction of Placido ring patterns. However, since the images from CCD are noisy, image enhancement is necessary as a pre-processing procedure in order to prevent further noise magnification during the corneal surface topography reconstruction. In this study, two popular image enhancement methods, namely Gabor Filtering (GF) and Multiscale Vessel Enhancement Filtering (MVEF), are quantitatively evaluated in the context of image enhancement before corneal reconstruction. The two methods were tested on 21 images of steel balls with different diameters. Both methods have been demonstrated to be useful for Placido ring extraction; however, the GF method showed better performance on images of steel balls with smaller diameter. Compared to the GF method, the MVEF method performed better on images of steel balls with larger diameter. The result of the present work implies that the two methods should be used cooperatively.
KeywordsVideokeratography Gabor filtering Multiscale vessel enhancement filtering
This work is supported in part by grants from National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC: 81171402, 61103165), the next generation communication technology Major project of National S&T(2013ZX03005013), Guangdong Innovative Research Team Program (GIRTF-LCHT, No. 2011S013), Low-cost Healthcare Programs of Chinese Academy of Sciences and International Science and Technology Cooperation Program of Guangdong Province (2012B050200004) and Shenzhen Key Laboratory for Low-cost Healthcare (CXB201005260056A).
- 1.Kee CS, Deng Li (2008) Astigmatism associated with experimentally induced myopia or hyperopia in chickens. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49(3): 858–867Google Scholar
- 4.Alonso-Caneiro D, Iskander DR, Collins MJ (2008) Computationally efficient interference detection in videokeratoscopy images. In: 2008 IEEE 10th Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, pp 486–490 Oct 2008Google Scholar
- 8.Hanuch OE, Agrawal VB, Bassage S, delCerro M, Aquavella JV (1998) Myopic picosecond laser keratomileusis with the neodymium-yttrium lithium fluoride laser in the cat cornea. Ophthalmology 105(1):142–149Google Scholar
- 9.Busin M, Yau CW, Yamaguchi T, McDonald MB, Kaufman HE (1986) The effect of collagen cross-linkage inhibitors on rabbit corneas after radial keratotomy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 27(6):1001–1005Google Scholar
- 13.Gabor D (1946) Theory of communication. Part 1: The analysis of information. J Ins Electr Eng 93(26):429–441Google Scholar
- 17.Zhou Y, Zheng Y-P (2009) Enhancement of muscle fibers in ultrasound images using gabor filters. In: Ultrasonics Symposium (IUS), 2009 IEEE International, pp 2296–2299Google Scholar
- 19.Frangi AF, Wiro JN, Koen LV, Max AV (1998) Multiscale vessel enhancement filtering. Lect Notes Comput Sci, vol 1496, pp 130–137Google Scholar