Improved Single-Key Attack on Reduced-Round LED
In this paper, On the basis of the single-key model and the differential analysis principle, we propose the improved attacks on the new low-cost LED block cipher which revisits meet-in-the-middle attack. More precisely, we choose a differential with high probability firstly. Since we have guessed some key nibbles to check whether the plaintext pair follows the differential characteristic, we construct the \( \delta \)-set from plaintext which is used to match the right key under meet-in-the-middle attack. Finally, the key candidates are recovered by removing the values that do not content conditions. Hence the secret key bits can be recovered with very low complexity 233, which is faster than other previous papers. We attack the complete six rounds on LED-64, and we can expand to more rounds on LED-128. At the present time, it is an efficient attack on six-rounds of LED-64.
KeywordsLED Meet-in-the-middle attack Block cipher Differential characteristic
We are grateful for the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.61272434), the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province (No.ZR2011FQ032,ZR2012FM004), the Project of Shandong Province Higher Educational Science and Technology Program (No. J11LG33) and the project of Senior Visiting Scholar of Shandong Province (No.2011A115).
- 1.Wei, L, Rechberger, C, Guo, J, et al (2011) Improved meet-in-the-middle cryptanalysis of KTANTAN[OL]. http://eprint.iacr.org/2011/201
- 2.Guo J, Peyrin T, Poschmann A, et al (2011) The LED block cipher. CHES 2011, LNCS 6917:326–341Google Scholar
- 3.National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) (2001) Advanced encryption standard. FIPS Publication 197Google Scholar
- 5.Demirci H, Selcuk Ali Aydm (2008) A meet-in-the-middle attack on 8-round AES. In: Nyberg, K, (ed) FSE, LNCS, vol 5086. p 116–126Google Scholar
- 6.Mendel F, Rijmen V, Toz D et al (2012) Differential analysis of the LED block cipher. FSE, LNCS, 7658:190–207Google Scholar
- 7.Jeong K, Lee C (2012) Differential fault analysis on block cipher LED-64. Future information technology, application and service. LNEE 164:747–755Google Scholar
- 8.Jovanovic P, Kreuzer M, Polian I (2012) A fault attack on the LED block cipher. COSADE 2012. LNCS 7275:120–134Google Scholar
- 9.Derbez P, Pierre-Alain F, Jérémy J (2013) Improved key recovery attacks on reduced-round AES in the single-key setting. EUROCRYPT. LNCS 7881:371–387Google Scholar
- 10.Damen J, Rijmen V(1998) Rijndael. AES proposalGoogle Scholar