Discrimination of Solitary Pulmonary Nodules on CT Images Based on a Novel Automatic Weighted FCM
A novel automatic feature assessment and weighting Fuzzy C-Means (FCM) algorithm was proposed for the classification of solitary pulmonary nodules (SPN). Six pulmonary nodule features were extracted from computed tomography (CT) images, which were normalized and combined into feature sequence. The feature assessment method was used to calculate discriminative criterion of categories, where the sensitive features were selected and weighted to discriminate between benign and suspicious malignant pulmonary nodules. Forty CT slices of twenty three patients are selected to evaluate the proposed method. The experimental results show that the accuracy of discrimination is 86.3 %, the sensitiveness is 87.5 %, and the specificity is 80 %, which illustrate that the method is feasible, and have good accuracy and sensitivity.
KeywordsClassification CAD Automatic weighted preference FCM
This research work is partially supported by the Hebei province science and technology pillar program (12275528D), the Chinese NSFC research fund (61190120, 61190124 and 61271318), the Hebei University BM Research fund (BM201110) and Technological Innovation of Undergraduate research fund (201210075008).
- 4.Doi K (2007) Computer-aided diagnosis in medical imaging: historical review, current status and future potential. Comput Med Imag Graph 31(4–5):198–211Google Scholar
- 5.Fukunaga K (1990) Introduction to statistical pattern recognition. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kitasaka T, Mori K, Hasegawa J, Toriwaki J (2000) Lung area extraction from 3-D chest X-Ray CT images using the shape model generated by variable bezil surface. IEICE Trans Inf Syst J 83-D-2(1):165–174Google Scholar
- 7.Li Q, Li F, Doi K (2005) Computerized nodule detection in thin-slice CT using selective enhancement filter and automated rule-based classifier. In: Proceedings of SPIE, San Diego, 104–112Google Scholar
- 8.Dehmeshki J, Ye X, Lin X, Valdivieso M, Amin H (2007) Automated detection of lung nodules in CT images using shape-based genetic algorithm. Comput Med Imag Graph 31:408–417Google Scholar
- 11.Teverovskiy L, Carmichael O, Aizenstein H et al. (2006) Feature-based cs. intensity-based brain image registration: voxel level and structure level performance evaluation. Carnegie Me lion University, CMU-ML-06–118Google Scholar