Mining ESP Teaching Research Data Using Statistical Analysis Method: Using One-Sample t Test as an Example
We demonstrate the usage and effectiveness of a simple statistical analysis method, one-sample t test, in mining ESP teaching research data. The statistical analysis software SPSS is used. Our method discovers more information concealed in the data compared to the average or percentage method. Our work also provides some basic survey data for ESP teaching researches, especially for research on local level universities in China. Three issues discovered in data analysis process are discussed: (1) students’ behaviors conflict with their anticipations; (2) conflicts exist between course setting and students’ practical more imminent issues; and (3) the pros and cons of blackboard writing and multimedia in ESP teaching.
KeywordsESP One-sample t test Data mining Questionnaire survey
- 1.Bao G (2012) A survey on the usage of statistical analysis methods in foreign language teaching researches in China. Foreign Lang World (1):44–51,60Google Scholar
- 2.Cai J (2010) Some considerations on the orientation of college English teaching in China. Foreign Lang Teach Res 4:306–308Google Scholar
- 3.Gu Z (2010) A study on the design of ESP teaching. Shanghai Foreign Languages Univ, Master thesisGoogle Scholar
- 4.Leong W, Li X (2011) Optimized strategy in English teaching for tourism management major. Tourism Tribune 2:89–94Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang H (2012) Analysis of the questionnaire on the specialized English of electronic information science. J Wuhan Univ (Nat Sci Ed.) (S2):244–248Google Scholar