A Visualization Method in Virtual Educational System
We present a visualization-based knowledge expression approach for virtual educational system in this paper. Our method allows teachers and students to understand complex algorithms and procedures more intuitively and conveniently during the process of teaching and learning. We take the decision tree and the random forest algorithm in the field of Data mining as examples in this paper. In our method, the decision tree is represented by a virtual 3D tree model that both the structure and the classification results can be showed clearly. In addition, random forest is represented by a group of virtual 3D trees and their positions denote the similarity between the decision trees. We also provide several user-interaction tools in our system. The tools help users to browse the forest, select a tree, delete a tree and even see the detail information of the decision tree. The effective and understandable results show the feasibility of applying visualization method in virtual educational system.
KeywordsVisualization Virtual education Decision tree
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of P.R.China under Grant Nos. 61202225, 61272094, 61104126, Project of Shandong Province Higher Educational Science and Technology Program under Grant No. J13LN13, and Shenzhen Basic Research Foundation under Grant No. JC201105190934A.
- 1.Serin O, Cyprus NN (2011) The effects of the computer-based instruction on the achievement and problem solving skills of the science and technology students. TOJET 10.1 Google Scholar
- 5.Guo H, Wang Z, Yu B et al (2011) TripVista: triple perspective visual trajectory analytics and its application on microscopic traffic data at a road intersection. In: Pacific visualization symposium (PacificVis) IEEE, pp 163–170Google Scholar
- 7.Nagel HR (2006) Scientific visualization versus information visualization. In: Workshop on state-of-the-art in scientific and parallel computing, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 8.Paton B (1999) Virtual laser laboratory. Retrieved 6 June 1999 Google Scholar
- 9.Bin H (2008) Study for emotional interaction algorithm in virtual instruction based on facial expression computing. Master’s thesis, Central China Normal UniversityGoogle Scholar