Traditional Chinese Medicine Literature Metadata: A Draft Technical Specification Developed by the International Organization for Standardization
Currently, there is a lack of international standard for literature metadata in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) domain, which becomes a major obstacle for the indexing and retrieval of TCM literature. In 2013, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) finished the draft technical specification (DTS) “Traditional Chinese medicine literature metadata”, which will play an important role in the preservation and utilization of TCM literature resources. In this paper, we articulate the content and characteristics of this DTS, compare it with other related ISO standards, and explain the creativity and necessity of this DTS.
KeywordsTraditional Chinese medicine Literature Metadata International Organization for Standardization Technical specification Standardization
This work is supported by “the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central public welfare research institutes (NO. ZZ070804, NO. ZZ070311, NO ZZ060808, NO. ZZ070314)”, “the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation funded project (NO. 2012M520559)”.
- 2.Alasem A (2009) An overview of e-government metadata standards and initiatives based on Dublin core. Electron J e-Govern 7(1):1–10Google Scholar
- 4.IEEE P1484.12.1 (2002) Draft standard for learning object metadata. http://ltsc.ieee.org/doc/wg12/LOM_WD6_4.pdf. Accessed on Aug 2002
- 5.Vargo J, Nesbit JC, Belfer K, Archambault A (2003) Learning object evaluation: computer-mediated collaboration and inter-rater reliability. Int J Comput Appl 25(3):198–205Google Scholar
- 7.Darmoni S, Thirion B, Platel S, Douyère M, Mourouga P, Leroy JP (2002) CISMeF-patient: a French counterpart to MEDLINEplus. J Med Libr Assoc 90(2):248–253Google Scholar
- 8.Sakai Y (2001) Metadata for evidence-based medicine resources. In: Oyama K, Gotoda H (eds) Proceedings of the international conference on Dublin core and metadata applications 2001 (DCMI ‘01). National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo, pp 81–85Google Scholar
- 9.NLM metadata: U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/tsd/cataloging/metafilenew.html
- 11.Tong Y, Cui M, Yang S (2013) Investigating traditional Chinese informatics standards under the development of ISO/TC 215. Chin Dig Med 8(2):46–49 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Klein GO (2011) Metadata-an international standard for clinical knowledge resources. Stud Health Technol Inform 169:839–843Google Scholar