Discussion on Intervention of Chinese Culture in Chinese College Students’ English Writing and Dealing Strategies
Owing to the high frequent emergence of errors in Chinese college students’ English writing, the paper tries to analyze and discuss the types and reasons of these errors, identifying that most of the mistakes in college students’ English writing are caused by the interference of Chinese language, that is, negative transfer of the first language strategy on the second language writing, should not be ignored. Therefore, the author suggests that the development of cultural awareness and reasoning patterns of the target language and trying to reduce the intervention of the first language culture on the second language writing will be the solution.
KeywordsLanguage learning English writing Chinese culture Negative transfer
- 1.Zhang WT (2003) Analysis of interlingual and intralingual errors made by college students. Teach Engl China Vol 26:48Google Scholar
- 2.Jiang P (2001) Negative transfer in the aspects of language, culture and thinking pattern. Teach Engl China 20:36Google Scholar
- 3.Kaplan RB (1996) Cultural patterns in intercultural education. Lang Learn pp 16Google Scholar
- 4.Yan LD (2004) Implication for second language pedagogy by analyzing errors in college students writing. Teach Engl China 27:27Google Scholar
- 5.Houston A (1994) Learning writing through writing: the Chendu approach to teaching written composition. Teach Engl China 26:100–110Google Scholar