The Classification of Meningioma Subtypes Based on the Color Segmentation and Shape Features
This paper proposed an automatic method for the classification of meningioma subtypes based on the unsupervised color segmentation method and feature selection scheme. Firstly, a color segmentation method is utilized to segment the cell nuclei. Then the set of shape feature vectors which are calculated from the segmentation results are constructed. Finally, a k-nearest neighbour classifier (kNN) is used to classify the meningioma subtypes. Experiment shows that the classification accuracy of 85 % is achieved by using a leave-one-out cross validation approach on 80 meningioma images.
KeywordsMeningioma Segmentation Classification Color Shape features
- 1.Qureshi H, Rajpoot N, Masood K, Hans V (2006) Classification of meningiomas using discriminant wavelet packets and learning vector quantization. In: Proceedings of medical image understanding and analysisGoogle Scholar
- 2.Qureshi H, Sertel O, Rajpoot N, Wilson R, Gurcan M (2008) Adaptive discriminant wavelet packet transform and local binary patterns for meningioma subtype classification. In: Proceedings 11th medical image computing and computer-assisted intervention. Lecture notes in computer science, vol 5242, pp 196–204Google Scholar
- 3.Qureshi H, Rajpoot N, Nattkemper T, Hans V (2009) A robust adaptive wavelet- based method for classification of meningioma histology images. In: Proceedings of MICCAI workshop on optical tissue image analysis in microscopy, histopathology and endoscopyGoogle Scholar
- 4.Friedman J, Baskett F, Shustek L (1975) An algorithm for finding nearest neighbors. IEEE Trans Comput C-24:1000–1006Google Scholar
- 5.Warfield S (1996) Fast kNN classification for multichannel image data. Pattern Recogn Lett 17:713–721Google Scholar