A New ACM/ICPC-Based Teaching Reform and Exploration of “Design and Analysis of Algorithms”
The ACM/ICPC (ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest) is famous as the world’s largest and highest level of international collegiate programming contest. In this paper, by considering some problems of the traditional teaching mode of the “Design and Analysis of Algorithms” (which is abbreviated as “Algorithms”), we propose a new ACM/ICPC-based teaching reform mode of the “Algorithms”. Some principles and characteristics of the exercises based on the ACM/ICPC are presented. And, some merits and features of our reform mode are analyzed. Also, by giving the shortcomings of the ACM online judging system, the corresponding reason and the solving strategy are presented. The ACM/ICPC-based teaching reform mode of the “Algorithms” cultivates the students’ interest in participating in the ACM/ICPC, greatly improves the initiative and enthusiasm to learn “Algorithms”, and strengthens cultivation of the team spirit and creative ability. Our proposed reform mode improves the teaching quality, which achieves the obvious effect. Also, our mode was highly praised and generally welcomed by students. Therefore, it has some demonstrated functions for teaching reform of the “Algorithms”.
KeywordsACM ICPC Teaching reform and exploration Design and analysis of algorithms Traditional teaching mode
This work is supported by the Teaching Reform Project of Higher Education of Guangdong Province in 2013, the Major Project of the Teaching Reform of South China University of Technology in 2012 under Grant No. x2jsY1120020, the Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China under Grant No. 20120172120036, the Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong Province of China under Grant No. S2011040005815, and the Foundation for Distinguished Young Talents in Higher Education of Guangdong of China under Grant No. LYM11015.
- 1.Cormen TH, Leiserson CE, Rives RL et al. (2010) Introduction to algorithms, 3rd edn. Phi LearningGoogle Scholar
- 4.Yu H (2010) Curriculum exploration of algorithm design and analysis in intelligent science and technology specialty. Comput Educ 19:15–18Google Scholar
- 5.Zheng Y (2012) Teaching mode exploration of design and analysis of algorithms. Study South Chin High Educ Eng 30(2):21–25Google Scholar
- 6.Li H (2010) Teaching reform and practice of algorithm analysis and design. Chin Electr Power Educ 16:74–75Google Scholar
- 7.Wu Y, Wang Y, Fu Y et al (2010) Promoting the practice teaching reform of algorithms and data structures relying on the program design competition. Comput Educ 4:53–55Google Scholar
- 8.Gao S (2008) Curriculum reform in algorithm design and analysis. Comput Educ 14:37–38Google Scholar
- 9.Zheng Y (2011) A novel method of reform and exploration of C ++ bilingual teaching based on ACM/ICPC. In: Proceedings of 3rd international conference on information, Electron Comput Sci 626–630Google Scholar