A Survey on Wireless Camera Sensor Networks
Recently, with the development of low-power and low-complexity hardware such as camera sensors, wireless camera sensor networks have been widely used in the novel field, e.g., smart home and medical. Wireless camera sensor networks can provide richer information such as image and picture during a monitored environment. However, the large amount of image data produced by the camera sensors requires exploring new means for data storage, processing and communication. In this paper, we first introduce the concepts and characteristics of the wireless camera sensor networks and discuss the applications of wireless camera sensor networks. Moreover, we present the architectures involved in the wireless camera sensor networks, along with their algorithms and protocols. Finally, we discuss other research issues briefly.
KeywordsWireless camera sensor networks Smart home and medical Education Coverage Architectures Security Characteristics
This research was supported by the Natural Science Research Projects of Chuzhou University under Grant 2012kj005B, as well as the Natural Science Foundation Projects form Education Department of Anhui Province under Grant KJ2011ZD06. The authors would like to thank the Professor Jiang Xiaohong and the Professor Chen Guilin for their valuable comments.
- 1.He Y, Liu Y, Member S, Shen X, Mo L (2013) Noninteractive localization of wireless camera sensors with mobile beacon. IEEE Trans Mobile Comput 12:333−345Google Scholar
- 2.Balasubramaniam S, Kangasharju J (2013) Realizing the internet of nano things: challenges, solutions, and applications. IEEE Comput Soc 46:62−68Google Scholar
- 3.Fang X, Yang D, Xue G (2012) Strategizing surveillance for resource-constrained event monitoring. Proc IEEE INGOCOM 2012:244−252Google Scholar
- 4.Liu L, Zhang X, Ma H (2009) Dynamic node collaboration for mobile target tracking in wireless camera sensor networks. IEEE INFOCOM Proc 2009Google Scholar
- 5.Ma H, Yang M, Li D (2012) Minimum camera barrier coverage in wireless camera sensor networks. IEEE INFOCOM Proc 2012:217−225Google Scholar
- 6.Akyildiz IF, Melodia T, Chowdhury KR (2007) A survey on wireless multimedia sensor networks. Comput Netw 51:921–960Google Scholar
- 8.Schreer O, Kauff P, Sikora T (2005) 3D video communication. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 9.Soro S, Heinzelman W (2009) A survey of visual sensor networks. Adv Multimedia VolumeGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lipton A, Fujiyoshi H, Patil R (1998) Moving target classification and tracking from real-time video. IEEE Image Underst WorkshopGoogle Scholar
- 11.Cheng C-F, Tsai K-T (2012) Belt-barrier construction algorithm for WVSNs. IEEE Wireless Commun Netw Conf 2012:3155–3160Google Scholar
- 12.Chang C-Y, Hsiao C-Y, Chang C-T (2012) The k-barrier coverage mechanism in wireless visual sensor networks. IEEE Wireless Commun Netw Conf 2012:2318–2322Google Scholar